When does impedance variation become a problem? A tale of two plots...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

When does impedance variation become a problem? A tale of two plots...

Hi all...

I've designed two crossovers for my RS150 / Neo3 PDR combination.

One of them is a 4th order, the other one is an 8th order L-R (acoustical).

I think the 8th order is a better choice... because the electrical attenuation for the 4th order is a bit shallow. I worry about damaging the tweeter.

That, and the phase is completely in phase with the 8th Order tweeter... I had never designed a crossover that was like this.

The problem is, I think, the impedance plot.

I included the frequency response graph for both crossovers (the reference is the 8th Order one), and the impedance plots.

Do you think it may be an issue? I'll be using the speakers with SS and tube amps...
    Attached Files
    Javier Huerta
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Do you think it may be an issue? I'll be using the speakers with SS and tube amps...
    No problem with SS amps. Possibly a problem with tube amps. Most of them have high output impedance and like speakers with "flat" impedance.

Comment

• Marzen
      • Jul 2005

Javier, can you post the schematic? You should be able to tame the low end impedance somewhat, as well as the Neo3's upper end freq rise. Try a .1-.3mH inductor in series just before the Neo3 if you want.
      -Ward
      Last edited by Marzen; 19 October 2006, 06:12 Thursday.
      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Dennis, Marzen, thank you very much for your help!

Marzen, here's the schematics for both crossovers. I thought about taming the Neo's high end, but since off-axis dispersion is not the greatest, I decided to leave it as is. Also, my measuring gear, I believe, has issues when going that high - I don't really trust that hump is real...
        Attached Files
        Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"