X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark S.
    • May 2005

Quick & simple question

How far down (in db) should I strive to tame the break-up mode in a metal woofer? I'm working with a aluminum woofer with a peak at 7k and a second larger peak at 9k. How far down is the MINIMUM I should aim for so these peaks will not be a significant sonic problem?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here's a quick and simple answer ....:wink:

The recommendation from Jonmarsh is when possible use a XO frequency no less than one full octave below the cone breakup mode. He uses 48dB/octave filters for this purpose.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonP
      • Apr 2006

I think I remember him also saying that -40 to -50dB down is pretty good... though most probably would not notice it at -30dB. ;-)

Comment

• Mark S.
        • May 2005

Originally posted by JonP
        I think I remember him also saying that -40 to -50dB down is pretty good... though most probably would not notice it at -30dB. ;-)
        Thanks Thomas & Jon

When saying -40 to -50 db down are you saying it should be this far down starting from the top of the peak of the raw driver OR this far down from the amplitude at the intended x-over point?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Scroll down to where it says "Crossover Concept"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mark S.
            • May 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            http://pwp.t-3.cc/ttriff/M8aArticle/RoughDraftText.rtf

Scroll down to where it says "Crossover Concept"
            Thanks Thomas! I'll read it.

Jon, I'm still interested if you have a answer to my question. Thanks again.
            MS

Comment

• JonP
              • Apr 2006

Remember, I'm not an expert! :B

I would think generally you are talking below the overall driver level. When you compensate for the Baffle Step gain (the BSC) you lose some, not more than 6dB, and usually a few less than that. Not a huge difference.

It's relative, as well... Say you have a speaker that you crank up to 90dB, if your cone breakup is -40dB down, then it's at a 50dB volume level. Fairly quiet, but it has to compete with that loud 90dB of everything else. Go to 100dB and now your cone breakup output is 60dB, not all that quiet, but the system is that much louder in proportion.

As you can see, the greater attenuation the better, -50dB starts to not look that extreme if you really want a clean system..

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mark S.
                I'm still interested if you have a answer to my question. Thanks again.
                MS
                There's no peak to attenuate if the XO point is an octave below the breakup frequency.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"