X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tojo619
    • Sep 2006

HI-VI M12 sub

anybody have any experience/opinions about this particular sub??

Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 11:24 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I don't have any experience with it, but I wouldn't really consider it unless I really wanted it to look nice. The 8" version is used in a project or two in the Mission Accomplished section, and people seem to agree that it's very nice to look at.

The reason I wouldn't really consider it as a sub is that even though it has low distortion, reasonable Xmax, and is pistonic to a reasonably high frequency- you could get a lot more displacement for the dollar, and probably better sound.

If you're building a 3-way and you like the aesthetic of that driver, everything I've heard about the series suggests that it should live up to its looks.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

With that deep of a drop after the 100 hz frequency, I wouldn't use it as a sub. You could get much better for the price; try the dayton series.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
        • Jan 2005

what deep drop are you referring to? If the response plot you're looking at is a gated response, or a free-air measurement (or both), then you're seeing an unrealistic response below a certain frequency. The specifications of this woofer indicate that it should play flat down to the 30hz range in a properly ported enclosure.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's not a sub, it's a woofer.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aprilia88
            • Oct 2006

I think I am the only one who uses these. I really like it. The short xmax and good sensitivity make for a nice sound. I might have messed up somehow on the rs10hf that I built to replace it. but the hi-vi sounds better. It was almost impossible to integrate the rs into my system. two m12's are all that my walls can handle.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It's not a matter of like or dislike. It's simply that the driver is a woofer not a subwoofer.

Many years ago short throw woofers were better sounding. That's certainly not the case with todays modern motors and suspension technology

Integration is seldom a function of the driver itself.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ethan
                • May 2006

I have 6 of them for my HT project and technically I'm using them "as subs", but I definitely chose them for aestetic reason. For the same price you can have something with over twice the displacement.

Comment

• aprilia88
                  • Oct 2006

ethan do you have any pics?

Comment

• Ethan
                    • May 2006

It's not finished yet, I am posting my progress in this thread :
                    Hi, this is my first post but I've been reading this forum for some time now. There's a mind-boggling amount of information here, I don't think I'll ever finish reading it all... I had the insane idea of building a complete 5.1 set for my home theater. My goal is to get a better overall sound than my current commercial

so far there's a pic of the satellites, post #55
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 11:20 Sunday. Reason: Update url

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"