X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Licinius
    • Sep 2006

First foray into speaker building (large pics) / hi-vi b3s

well... second kinda, built a sonosub awhile back, but since I moved into an apartment from a house I haven't been able to use it So... before I moved, I was getting rid of things that I didn't really want to move or deal with, and got rid of my primus 360's I was using for surrounds (kinda overkill I suppose) and have since been stuck with only LCR in my ht setup, so I figured why not build some new surrounds...

I wanted to not spend a whole lot (and of course ended up buying a table saw and a router in the process) and built the little 3" hi-vi guys on zaphs site.

They sound pretty decent though they sure take a lot of juice, I have a feeling they're gonna be like +7 on ye olde receiver. Naturally lacking < 100, but I might haul out my pb10 I had before I built my sonosub, its a little tamer (and probably fits in the living room much better).

I shall now commence pic-whoring.

-Brett B

Last edited by Licinius; 18 October 2006, 13:22 Wednesday.
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Those look nice, very retro look to them. How do they sound though? I'm thinking about doing those same speakers for my zone 2 speakers.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice speakers.

Storing wine in an area associated with high vibration = bad idea.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Licinius
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Nice speakers.

Storing wine in an area associated with high vibration = bad idea.
        Yea yea =) lol, I tend to drink it fast enough, the good stuff is in a little fridge elsewhere. Plus, unfortunately, I can't get high vibrations anymore what with the people living above me... how I miss cranking movies up and feeling the floor move.

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Nice work. Looks good. :T

I've had my eye on those speakers. I've been looking around for good computer speakers to make. Currently, I've got these:
          Home Audio Products for Every Lifestyle, Application & Budget. Since 1946, no compromises in Legendary Sound. Free Shipping on All Online Orders in the US.

They sound pretty good, especially considering what they cost. I've been wondering if there would be a significant improvement from the Zaph 3" speakers to warrant the effort of building them. Or if there are any better close range speaker designs out there.

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

I've built a couple sets off these. They sound surprisingly good for the price. Zaph did an excellent job with the filter. I doubt they'd be a big step up from your Klipsh system, but it depends on your taste.

I ended up going back to a "small" two way on my desk. The B3's sound a little fuzzy compared to the current speakers, but since the are 1/20 the price you'd expect that. My son is really happy with them in his room (with an active xo to a single sub).

Comment

• JonW
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BobEllis
              I ended up going back to a "small" two way on my desk.
              Thanks, Bob. So what 2 ways do you have on your desk? I'm wondering what the best available desk speaker design might be.

Comment

• WillyD
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                Thanks, Bob. So what 2 ways do you have on your desk? I'm wondering what the best available desk speaker design might be.
                If I was looking to build a pair of small 2-ways for a desk, I'd consider this design.

Comment

• Licinius
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                  Nice work. Looks good. :T

I've had my eye on those speakers. I've been looking around for good computer speakers to make. Currently, I've got these:
                  Home Audio Products for Every Lifestyle, Application & Budget. Since 1946, no compromises in Legendary Sound. Free Shipping on All Online Orders in the US.

They sound pretty good, especially considering what they cost. I've been wondering if there would be a significant improvement from the Zaph 3" speakers to warrant the effort of building them. Or if there are any better close range speaker designs out there.
                  Probably not, Klipsch makes great speakers for the computer audio segment that just sound <good> with a computer source (and the general lack of quality of the audio, mp3's/games/compressed one way or another).

I'm liking these so far, esp for the price, when I get back into a house I'll probably build some modula mt mtms all around but for now these are doing a great job of filling in the rear, they have a really specific sweet spot in my apartment, and if you stick yourself <right> there, they sound super transparent, great imaging... A little fuzzy top and esp bottom of course when I was listening to them full range through my stereo amp, but once I crossed them over at about 120hz on receiver they cleared right up.

Those little monitors look nice :T

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

My two ways use Focal 6W4254s and TC120-TD5s actively crossed over in a ~.9 cubic foot enclosure (that's why I said "small") They are not shielded, so LCD monitors only. PM for details if you are interested, but the microbe is probably a better option for desk speakers.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                      • May 2006

How much did this project cost you? I'm thinking of using something like these temporarly for rear surrounds, and then using these as bedroom speakers in zone2.

Did you try using these speakers as your fronts? If so, how did they fare?

Comment

• Licinius
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                        How much did this project cost you? I'm thinking of using something like these temporarly for rear surrounds, and then using these as bedroom speakers in zone2.

Did you try using these speakers as your fronts? If so, how did they fare?
                        Wood... say 20 bucks. Speakers + filters + terminals... say 40 bucks. Screws, nuts, paint... say 10 bucks.

The excuse to buy a rigid ts2400ls (freaking awesome saw) and a dewalt 621... right about $600 bucks :B

They sounded good for $60 speakers running in stereo, of course if you want anything below about a hundred hz you need a sub, I haven't tried them as 2.1 though.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"