X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Finished up Wilson'ish MTMW speaker

We have been working on this speaker for some time now. And my friend is very happy with the results, since he will be the proud owner. The midranges are eton 4-300, tweeter is focal kevlar TC120, and woofer is a custom Eton 8-472 we got from someone on ebay. Crossover is around 2K fourth order, and 300 second order acoustic.

Overall, I like how MTMs sound, but they have a very strong presence and clarity that takes some getting used to. I think the focal kevlar is a bit harsh at times, but overall this system offers a lot of clarity. I had fun building it and helping out my friend. Let me know what you think of it or if you have any questions.

Jed
    Attached Files
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Nice more pictures if you could please?

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dynamowhum
      Nice more pictures if you could please?
      I've got a bunch like the one above- same angle. My friend Josh picked them up to take home today so unfortunately I didn't take more.
      Last edited by Jed; 15 October 2006, 21:26 Sunday.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

You might try a small inductor in series with the tweeter to get a bit of roll off in the top end. I agree they can be a bit harsh as the response rises about 5 dB in the top octave and a half. Start with around 10 uH, with a bit of resistance in parallel to make a shelving filter - much like a baffle step compensation circuit.

Another option as used in a Zalytron kit is a 1 uf capacitor in the parallel leg of the L-pad in series with the resistor. This has a similar shelving effect.

Depending on which of the three kevlar models you have it probably should be crossed higher. All were recommended at >3Khz, but that was with a second order electrical filter. I used 2.4 kHz, 4th order electrical with a 5 db shelving high pass and it worked pretty well. Not quite as nice as the T120TD5, but close. If your filter isn't at least 3rd order electrical, consider changing it to a higher order.

You should consider some felt around the drivers to create a pseudo flush mount if you can't rabbet the cutouts for flush mounting.

Comment

• Nichol1997
          • May 2006

Originally posted by BobEllis
          You might try a small inductor in series with the tweeter to get a bit of roll off in the top end. I agree they can be a bit harsh as the response rises about 5 dB in the top octave and a half. Start with around 10 uH, with a bit of resistance in parallel to make a shelving filter - much like a baffle step compensation circuit.

Another option as used in a Zalytron kit is a 1 uf capacitor in the parallel leg of the L-pad in series with the resistor. This has a similar shelving effect.

Depending on which of the three kevlar models you have it probably should be crossed higher. All were recommended at >3Khz, but that was with a second order electrical filter. I used 2.4 kHz, 4th order electrical with a 5 db shelving high pass and it worked pretty well. Not quite as nice as the T120TD5, but close. If your filter isn't at least 3rd order electrical, consider changing it to a higher order.

You should consider some felt around the drivers to create a pseudo flush mount if you can't rabbet the cutouts for flush mounting.

I too have just finished a three-way system using this same tweeter. I am using a 24dB active crossover at 2.7kHz. I find with a lot of my cd's that I am constantly adjusting the volume of the tweeter. I don't know if it sounds harsh or just louder with certain material. I think it sounds a little thin; this may be a result of the actual cd.

I am running an all vacuum tube set-up. The amps, crossover, and preamp are all vacuum tube. Is the T120TD5 suppose to sound better than the kevlar tweeter?

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Thanks Bob- those are all good suggestions. I had 3rd order electrical on the tweeter for a bit, but didn't like the sound. So we went to a simpler circuit that yielded an identical slope. Actually, now that I think of it, the crossover point was actually closer to 2.2-2.3k, so hopefully my friend won't push it too much with the volume control and stress the tweeters. My measuring equipment is useless above 15K, so your suggestion of a trap for the top octave is a good one, maybe I'll try it if my friend complains :-).

Comment

• Nichol1997
              • May 2006

Just a quick shot.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nichol1997
                Just a quick shot.
                Nice veneer. That's one thing I haven't tried yet. You could always swap out your kevlar tweeters for the TD5s and see what you think. I think most people prefer the TD5 but I could be wrong. I used to have a pair of the titanium uncoated version and those were some dynamic tweeters. Wish I still had them.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Yeah, I couldn't use my router because of the angled front baffle. Felt should do the trick and maybe get rid of the 3DB dip around 8-9k. Diffraction artifact?

Comment

• cobbpa
                    • Apr 2005

Looks good jed! Don't forget I still owe you drinks or dinner if you're ever in Ohio :W

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                      Thanks Bob- those are all good suggestions. I had 3rd order electrical on the tweeter for a bit, but didn't like the sound. So we went to a simpler circuit that yielded an identical slope. Actually, now that I think of it, the crossover point was actually closer to 2.2-2.3k, so hopefully my friend won't push it too much with the volume control and stress the tweeters. My measuring equipment is useless above 15K, so your suggestion of a trap for the top octave is a good one, maybe I'll try it if my friend complains :-).

My experience with the TD120dx2 is that at 2.2 to 2.5 kHz they will handle a lot of SPL with a 3rd order, that's partly because they're so efficient- almost 93 dB.

The older Kevlar version is problematical due to the cone resonance and peaking- your friend might find it more worthwhile to pick up a pair of the newer TC120's from Zalytron, as I think they'll be easier to optimize to a pleasing sounding crossover. I've heard they still have a number of pairs left. ThomasW and I still have a few pairs left, and measuring them with Praxis is on my long and long delayed to-do list.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Zalytron has them for the astounding price of $90ea.... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
                          Looks good jed! Don't forget I still owe you drinks or dinner if you're ever in Ohio :W
                          Thanks Cobbpa. Being that I live in Rochester, NY area, it might be awhile until I get over to Ohio. Glad you are enjoying those speakers still.
                          Jed

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                            Zalytron has them for the astounding price of $90ea.... 8O

For half the price I'm looking at Neo3pdr or the new peerless HDS.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"