ZD5 looks great, but it needs a bigger brother.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron M.
    • Aug 2005

ZD5 looks great, but it needs a bigger brother.

I had plans to whip up an MTM T-line tower using some 7" 8ohm Revelators and the well-known Seas/WG tweeter setup.
    However, I noticed Zaph was making noises like he might do something similar, except he wants to go with the SS air-circ tweeter.

I'd like to know why...just curious really.
    Is it just that he tried out the wave guide setup allready and wants to play with something new...or are there actual performance/driver compatability issues?
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Ask him. If you can find his email.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Aaron M.
      I had plans to whip up an MTM T-line tower using some 7" 8ohm Revelators and the well-known Seas/WG tweeter setup.
      However, I noticed Zaph was making noises like he might do something similar, except he wants to go with the SS air-circ tweeter.

I'd like to know why...just curious really.
      Is it just that he tried out the wave guide setup allready and wants to play with something new...or are there actual performance/driver compatability issues?

There's a couple reasons I'm not puting the AirCirc in a waveguide. The AirCirc's extended low end response doesn't come out shaped as well as that of a lower Qts tweeter with a earlier rolloff like the Seas. Thus, 2nd order with a simple crossover doesn't work as well anymore. The dome is somewhat wider than the Seas which means a bigger opening machined in the MCM waveguide, giving the waveguide less depth. And finally, there's the issue of "been there, done that" with waveguides. It doesn't help that there aren't any pre-machined waveguide options. I don't own a lathe, so I can't turn my own. I wouldn't publish a project that required a custom turned waveguide anyway since it's not very usefull to the 99% of people who don't have a lathe.

About all I know for sure is that I will be doing some sort of 2-way with the 18W/8531G and the AirCirc, since they are great drivers and I have a pair of each available courtesy of Tymphany. I'll probably start with a simple sealed box, since I have one available. Actually, I'm cutting some baffles for it today. Eventually, I wouldn't rule out trying these drivers in different ways. Dipole with a supporting sealed woofer maybe. Or a transmission line.
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jim85IROC
        • Jan 2005

It would definately be interesting to see how Zaph does dipole.

Comment

• jkrutke
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
          It would definately be interesting to see how Zaph does dipole.
          A pine board and a 5" Radio Shack full range with no crossover.

Ok, I'm just kidding. :rofl: :B

I sure would like to mount the AirCircs on a dipole, just so I could look at the back now and then.
          Attached Files
          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Aaron M.
            • Aug 2005

There's a couple reasons I'm not puting the AirCirc in a waveguide.
            Oops!
            I should've been more clear, I was thinking of using the tried and true Seas with the waveguide. I can see how this could be redundant for you.
            Still, such low distortion in the lower range of the tweeter, yum.

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Aaron M.
              Oops!
              I should've been more clear, I was thinking of using the tried and true Seas with the waveguide. I can see how this could be redundant for you.
              Still, such low distortion in the lower range of the tweeter, yum.
              Yup, they would pair up nicely. The 18W/8531G should easily be able to hit an LR2 target to match up with the LR2 waveguide rolloff with a single cap crossover. The only negative: if you're doing a TMM or MTM, that's $800 worth of woofers alone. Ouch.
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Aaron M.
                • Aug 2005

That's great news, I can use the drivers I want!
                Say, seeing as you live less than an hour away from me, would you be willing to help me out if I run into trouble tweeking the X-Os?

I'm just barely learning to use SoundEasy, so I don't know if I trust my measurements yet...anyway, this is all in the future, I've got to make some boxes first at the least.

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

Sure, I'll give you a hand if you need it. I would expect your crossover to be very similar to the Seas CA18RNX version. Those drivers have a similar behaviour to the Scans. The cabinet could be similar too, with a little more depth for the scans to give them the volume they need for a ported alignment.
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Aaron M.
                    • Aug 2005

I didn't think of that...it's helpfull ot know that I have a starting point that's close to my target.

Thanks!

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                      • Feb 2008

How does the ZD5 sealed rate against the ZRT Bookshelf?
                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"