X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

PB10 Clone - Advice requested

OK, so I needed a smaller, really cheap (emphasis cheap) sub for the computer, and I saw a Dayton Titanic MkIII 10" driver for half price on the'bay. I thought to myself, hey, why don't I grab this and a 300w BASH amp and make a PB10 clone?

Unfortunately my auction skills seem to surpass my box modelling skills, and I now realize this driver is no substitute for the PB10-NSD driver. No worries though, I don't need 105db output, I thought (but I would like to get the thing way down low, like a 20hz tuning, for reasonable-volume movie watching/monitoring). At least, until I tried to model something.

Are there any good designs or ideas for a ported 10" sub, either boxed or tubed? I can't seem to get a good fit on anything with this driver, as it wants a really small box, but then you can't get a low tuning on it due to port length, or risk having a huge 'saddle' in the output. I previously used a 10" car sub in a sealed 0.75ft3 box, and it sounded great, but there was absolutely no useable output below 30hz, which is noticeable for films. Should I perhaps just sell this titanic off and start again with a bigger driver, or does anyone think I can make this work?
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

How's about an Ascendant Audio 10" Assassin in 90 effective liters with a 4" port that is 19" long being fed with 300 watts and a 20hz highpass. Tuning comes in ~22hz, probably a bit lower in real life, and you should be solid to 20hz. Is that too big?

Hmm, unless I'm making a mistake somewhere, that looks like a pretty damn fine sub for using a 10" driver.

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

It looks like he already has the Titanic MkIII 10" driver. I'd keep that instead of selling it to get an Assasin 10" driver.

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

Well like wildfire said, it's really hard to model a smooth response with the Titanic without using an extremely small enclosure - which prohibits the use of proper porting. The Assassin actually gives more output over the whole range too.

Comment

• Exocer
          • Feb 2006

I should've mentioned I'd also go sealed...eliminating the problem at hand here. Sorry.
          In that case... its obvious the titanic should be sold off. The Assasin 10" does look good. However I nominate the Tc-1000 10" SVC. 200 liters tuned to 20hz with about 450 watts behind it...if you can afford the space. wouln't really be a Pb-10 clone, more like a Pb-10 killer. 6" port diameter, 22" long. HP around 19hz.

Comment

• derekbannatyne
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Exocer
            I should've mentioned I'd also go sealed...eliminating the problem at hand here. Sorry.
            In that case... its obvious the titanic should be sold off. The Assasin 10" does look good. However I nominate the Tc-1000 10" SVC. 200 liters tuned to 20hz with about 450 watts behind it...if you can afford the space. wouln't really be a Pb-10 clone, more like a Pb-10 killer. 6" port diameter, 22" long. HP around 19hz.
            That seems really big for a 10", did you mean 100L? I modeled that driver in Unibox and 100L tuned to 19hz with 300w looks pretty good.

Comment

• Exocer
              • Feb 2006

It slips my mind... :E 100L does look good though with a 22" long 4" port

Edit: I only suggest the Tc-1000 because I'd think the NSD driver has more Xmax than the Assasin drivers. Steve, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

• SteveCallas
                • Aug 2005

Steve, wouldn't you agree?
                It's the better driver no doubt, but with the mentioned intent:

OK, so I needed a smaller, really cheap (emphasis cheap) sub for the computer
                I think $175 is a bit much for a computer sub driver. The Assassin is only $70. Also, can you comfortably fit a 22" long port in a 100 liter enclosure with enough clearance from walls? That would be cutting it really close.

For $70, the Assassin looks hard to beat for this application.

Comment

• Exocer
                  • Feb 2006

Personally I dont think it'd be cutting it too close if the enclosure were rectangular, say 16"Wx16"Hx26" deep. Also since he'll be selling off the Titanic 10" driver I assumed that would offset the price of the Tc-1000 a bit. I do see your method of thinking though...16"x16"x26" isn't smaller than the Pb-10.

Comment

• WillyD
                    • Feb 2006

Actually, the Dayton Ref. 10" HF driver in a 65liter enclosure, tuned to 21-22Hz, looks good. Not the same value as the AA driver though.

Comment

• wildfire99
                      • Aug 2005

Thank you all for the suggestions. That TC-1000 driver is indeed impressive, and I have a bad feeling I will end up getting one and pairing it with a 300 or 500w BASH amp in the end (I'm a total sucker for More Power, and the extra $100 amortized over the life of the sub isn't that much; I am still about *this much* away from getting a b-stock SVS and calling it a day). Maybe it's a good time to go tubed also, to cut down on floor space.

I am also pondering just taking the sub budget and sinking it into simply getting two good full-range stereo mains. Good stereo movies are still better than bad surround movies. The high-end Adire stuff springs to mind, but my god--they are expensive. Choices, choices.
                      - Patrick
                      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Exocer
                        • Feb 2006

There are many good DIY designs here in the missions accomplished section of this forum. I suggest you check there first. You seem like a good candidate for the TMWW's

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"