X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Crossover help for a cheap vifa/dayton combo

Hello,
    I was digging through my work shop a few days ago a ran into 4 of each of the drivers listed below plus a 2 10” daytons, 2 infinity overstock midranges, and 4 JBL(vifa) overstock midwoofers. I don’t have any of the data on the Overstock stuff. My idea is to make 4 bookshelf sized speakers with the DA135 as the midwoofer with either the vifa D19TD or the ND20Fa as the tweeter.

I would appreciate any help any one can give with a crossover for one of these combinations:

VIFA D19TD-05 3/4" POLY DOME TWEETER

DA135-8 5-1/4" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER

OR

ND20FA-6 3/4" NEODYMIUM DOME TWEETER

DA135-8 5-1/4" ALUMINUM CONE WOOFER

I am not very good with crossovers… I have no software and to date I have either used Dayton crossovers (I have 4 cheap x-overs but they don’t do it for me anymore) or copied other people’s designs. I want to keep this simple and fairly cheap… as the drivers are fairly cheap.
    I have built one set of
    VIFA D19TD-05 ¾ with DA135-8 5-1/4" bookshelves with a $9 x-over from Dayton. I used them at work and left them with a co-worker when I left. They sounded … O.K. I guess. But they were severely limited by the x-over. I figure someone here could help me make an x-over that brings out the best in these drivers. I shop speakercity, partsexpress, and madisound.
    Lastly, I tend to perfer ported designs.
    Thank you for any help.

This project should tide me over until I can afford to do the Dayton RS TMWW https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...3&page=1&pp=35
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:12 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Is the Frequency range on this right? It looks bad on the pdf.

VIFA D19TD-05 3/4" POLY DOME TWEETER

Well, other than that I have no responses... it must be a lame project. Oh well. I guess I need some software now.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"

Comment

• knifeinthesink
      • Jan 2006

there is no measurement data for the d19, so that ones out, unless you find someone that has already done a project with it.

Im not very experienced with XO design but I fiddled with the dayton drivers in LSP cad and it took alot of parts to get it reasonably flat. They are not the most well behaved drivers. I doubt you'd want to spend alot on the XO for a cheapo project.

They are decent drivers though. John Krutke had some suprising things to say about those. (maybe it was the 7's. dont remember) An MTM might be more successful. Look at the mtm tower on partsexpress to get some idea. Also, I think its was Pete Schumacker (sp?) on the madisound forum who just published a tower for aluminum daytons. Again, you'll have look cause I cant remember if it used the 5" drivers or not.

Comment

• knifeinthesink
        • Jan 2006

nevermind. He used the 7's.

John Krutke has a new cheap project using the 7in daytons and a seas tweeter with a minimal XO. If you want something cheap and good maybe you should check them out.

Comment

• agrippa
          • Dec 2005

I will check it out. Thanks. However, I have these drivers just laying around so I thought I would put them to some good use.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"