X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strevo
    • Mar 2005

North Creek CM-7 kit

I am interested in building a set of these speakers for HT :
    Click now and see best headphones, headsets and earbuds in 2024 . Our expert authors review top headphones, headsets and earbuds.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with them? Is it a good kit? I haven't done a lot of DIY stuff before, so I'm looking to get some opinions as to whether I would be better off trying something else. I currently have 2 subwoofers, so I won't need the speakers to produce any really low bass. I use a Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700 as my receiver, so I don't really have a "high-end" system. Just looking to get great surround sound without spending several thousand dollars. $1000 is probably about the max for me for a 5-speaker surround system(not including the subwoofer). I currently use Yamaha bookshelf speakers as my fronts, a custom built center channel using JBL GT4400 4" car speakers and tweeters(piezo I think?), some old boom box speakers as rear channels, a Dahlquist 12" sub, and a custom built sub using an 8" Pioneer car sub.

Any suggestions about what would give me great bang for the buck would be well appreciated. Also, if anyone in the Detroit, MI area has any DIY speakers that I could listen to, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help.
    -Steve
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless something changed North Creek ceased kit sales the end of Sept 2006...See info on their home page.
    Click now and see best headphones, headsets and earbuds in 2024 . Our expert authors review top headphones, headsets and earbuds.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• strevo
      • Mar 2005

I did see that, but I saw this page and thought that they might still have a few left:

Maybe that was before 9/30 though? Looks like I might have just missed out. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Look at the designs in the 'Missions Accomplished!' section of this forum. They aren't kits but dozens of people have built them. The instructions and building information is so complete the only thing that differentiates them from a kit is that you buy the parts separately. There are complete BOM (bill of materials) and lots of tech support from tons of people on the forum.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• strevo
          • Mar 2005

"Look at the designs in the 'Missions Accomplished!' section of this forum."

Those projects definately look good. I've spent quite a while reading through all of them. I just don't have much of a frame of reference for what I would really like. I want to make sure I don't underbuy or overbuy for my needs. Although I'm guessing basically all of those projects would sound phenomenally better than what I have now. Really, I think I need something that is relatively forgiving of the sources, unless you think a Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700 receiver is high-quality enough for me to get some really detailed-sounding speakers. I also do love low-end extension, I would love the speaker to reach down to 80Hz, but I need something that has a smaller footprint to fit the room and the wife's idea of "new speakers". It also has to be a full surround sound system(minus the sub) for around $1000 or less. Do you have any suggestions for a kit like that?
          I'm thinking that maybe I would be better off buying just one, like the center and seeing how I like it? Then at least if I don't, I haven't dropped a ton of money into a set of speakers that I don't like.
          -Steve

Comment

• gimpy
            • Sep 2004

strevo, I've read good things about the kits from gr research. (I don't have them myself). www.gr-research.com.

good luck, Frank

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I think you'd find the RS-180 Modula MT to be similar to the North Creek CM-7. The MT is tuned to 34Hz so it will have the low bass you want. Note that it uses the same Parts Express premade box as the CM-7

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

I've owned several of the GR speaker kits and I think that you will find just about any of the Modula designs to be superior to the GR A/V line in just about every way.

Comment

• strevo
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for the input. Those Modula MTs were catching my eye. I was thinking about using the Modula MTM-1 for the fronts, The Modula MTM-CT for the center, and the Modula MT for the rears. I will probably build the cabinets myself. I'm one of those weird people that enjoys building stuff, no matter how messy or difficult it is, plus then I can get the finish I want. One more quick question: Do you think that 150W/channel @ 6ohms with all channels driven is enough power? I ask because that's what my Kenwood puts out, and I can't afford to replace that...yet.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Any of the MTM designs are a real world 4 ohm load. I don't know anything about your Kenwood, is it rated for 4 ohm loads?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• strevo
                      • Mar 2005

Here is the best set of specs I could find:

It does give a rating for 4 ohms, but I seem to recall the user manual stating only 6-8 ohm loads and something about 4 ohms only for stereo. I'll have to check when I get home.
                      -Steve

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

If the owners manual doesn't recommend 4 ohm loads, then don't use any of the MTM designs posted on this forum.

One option would be run the Modula MT for everything. That would work with your receiver.

If you don't mind adding a power amp, you could build the MTM's and power them with something like the Behringer A500 amp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

I think most any receiver will handle a 4-ohm load but you have to use a little common sense and it may not play as loud as you'd like. I think the manufacturers got tired of getting irate service calls where the receiver temporarily shuts down due to getting too hot and the only answer is don't turn it up so loud, dummy. So they just started saying not approved for 4-ohm loads to save themselves the grief.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"