X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1ke323
    • Jun 2006

Veneering the Baffle

I just finished veneering my entire speaker and am looking for a way to cut the veneer around the driver recesses. I already used a flush trim bit to cut the veneer to the thru baffle diameter, but there is still an about a inch where the recess is. I have come up with two solutions so far.

Option A: I can buy the whiteside dado flush trim bit which only requires a 1/8 depth to use. Not sure if I have enough depth on the tweeter and mid to use it. Also, because the dado flush trim bit has no bearing, I am wondering if it will just burn the mdf around the entire cut out. Also, the 1/8" where there is not bearing I fear is spinning to fast and might just cut into the mdf and enlarge the driver recess diameter. Any idea if it that would happen?

Option B: I use a utility knife and cut real close to the edge to where it needs to be. I then use a circular piece of mdf with sandpaper on the edge of the circle as a sanding block and just finish the last 1/8 thats left.

I am open to other suggestions. Thanks for any help.

Mike
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

I think option B is also the technique used by many others. But I have no eperience with veneering.

Comment

• m1ke323
      • Jun 2006

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going to give option B a try and see if it works out. If it doesn't then I will look for other options. Thanks again

Mike

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Look for one of these http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...b1vJQ7SzJzkw== .
        I have found them at Home depot. Once you buy it, then grind the end down so you can use it in the recess. Gives a nice clean pro cut.

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Here's a link to what I tried:

Unfortunately, some of the photos are not showing today. But the basic idea is to start with a flush trim bit like you did. Then use the same rabbeting bit on the veneer as what you used for the cabinet.

I've only tried this out once and it worked OK. I also tried some hand cutting one. Not too great, but OK. I'm new to this and haven't yet settled in on a method I really like.

Comment

• m1ke323
            • Jun 2006

chasw, this looks like the same idea as what you were going for, but without the grinding. It only has an 1/8" on the bottom.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by m1ke323
              chasw, this looks like the same idea as what you were going for, but without the grinding. It only has an 1/8" on the bottom.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=8025
              That is exactly what you are looking for, but keep in mind, it is usually offered in 2 diffeent models. One is a straight flush cut, the other is an angled 7 degree cut. I have always used the straight flush cut. You still usually have to grind or file some off the end. At least I have had to anyway.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

That's the bit I've used as well. It works very well most of the time.

Comment

• m1ke323
                  • Jun 2006

Brian, I am buying that bit, but am curious what you meant by most of the time? Did you mean the recess isn't always deep enough or something else? Thanks

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

Yes, sometimes the recess isn't quite deep enough and I have to take care not to accidentally have the bit jump out of the recess and damage the veneer. The key is to take your time with the laminate trimmer and try not to burn anything up.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"