X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masse1369
    • Jun 2006

SS RL-p 15 Designs...

I am looking to build a single 15" unit, ported, and was wondering if there is an "ideal" design for amp, eq, etc...Everything I have found to read about seems to be a double driver design.

I have looked on this forum and AVS and have not come up with anything. I am open to either a box or a sonotube. Does one work better than the other with this driver. Does the D2 or D4 have an advantage in a single driver unit? Total Budget, I would say for amp, eq and sub, would be around $800 or so. Thanks in advance.
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

$800 is about what many people pay for their RL-p15 projects. I have a single driver in a ported box powered by a Behringer EP2500. Most people choose that as their amp of chocie bc of price/performance ratio.

Check out the mission accomplished thread about subs here:

My sub is a little larger than ---k---'s except mine is tuned to 16 hz and downfiring. I forgot what thread I posted my pics on. It seems like more people are jumping on sonotubes over boxes; I went with a box because I needed something functional while being a speaker (mine is going to be a table when completed).

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

I don't know how well the search functions work, but ported RL-p15 D2 designs have been mentioned numerous times here and at AVS. Heck, there's another thread on the same topic on this very page :B I probably sound like a robot now mentioning this design so much: ~260 effective liters with a 6" diameter port that is 30" long with 600-900 watts for the D2. Steve nn has noticed better sound quality with a sonosub model than a box model - take that for what you will.

Comment

• masse1369
        • Jun 2006

Thanks for the replys. I have decided to go the sonotube route. Now, what all will I have to have in order to complete this project?

Obvisously when they become available, I will pick up a RL-p15 D2, probably going to go with the Behringer EP1500 and DSP1124P for power and EQ. Which size sonotube should i use? What all do I need to get for the port, baseplates and the such? Connections, Cloth, etc...?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Actually is there just a good link to "building a sonotube?"

I want to stain the endplates a dark cherry color and have just black cloth over the tube.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The search function for this forum works very well.

There are a few dozen tube sub projects posted here.

The only step by step guide tube sub I've ever seen is from Pat Sun.
          Iron Mountain is a global data center company that provides tailored, sustainable, secure, carrier and cloud-neutral colocation solutions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Check the link in my sig.

Comment

• mooseknuckles
              • Oct 2006

I'm about to start almost the same project (15" RL-p ported sonosub). Going to be purchasing an EP2500 to power it. Is it worth waiting for the D2, or is there little difference in the D4?

Comment

• strossos
                • Oct 2006

Fancy this, I'm also starting my Rl-p Sonotube project.

I got an email from mike (great service btw), and he says due to a 15" basket shortage the D2 models won't be in stock for another 4 weeks.

That brings up the question, how well does the 4 ohm model work with a EP1500 or EP2500?

Comment

• Jerm357
                  • Apr 2006

The d4 will work great with EP1500 (depending on the design) You can just wire each VC to a channel of the EP1500 for 800watts.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                    • Aug 2005

To get roughly the same low end performance, the D2 doesn't need as large an enclosure as the D4. The D2 is also a little easier to power, as it can be wired for a single 4 ohm load. Finally, it's a bit more sensitive down low, so it doesn't use as much excursion.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                      To get roughly the same low end performance, the D2 doesn't need as large an enclosure as the D4. The D2 is also a little easier to power, as it can be wired for a single 4 ohm load. Finally, it's a bit more sensitive down low, so it doesn't use as much excursion.
                      Steve, being more sensitive will only mean that it will need less power/voltage. For the same SPL, you'll need the same displacement/excursion, at least that's my understanding of how this works.

Brian Walter

Comment

• SteveCallas
                        • Aug 2005

Upon looking at the designs more closely, yes, the difference in output corresponds with slighty less excursion from the D4 between 14-21hz. My mistake.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                          • Aug 2001

Heh...you confused me with your original response, but I was willing to listen to the "why".

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"