Bottom ported/bottom driver'ed sonosubs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Bottom ported/bottom driver'ed sonosubs?

Has anyone ever tried a DIY of Adire's "tube in a tube" ported Sadhara? This would leave a undistrbed top cap, rather then the vent at the top.

I'd think this would be kinda cool, what increments are sonotube available in?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Most of the larger tube is available in 2" increments

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

hmmm.

Brain is working now - be back later....

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Interesting idea Ben. Just for yucks, I threw some numbers in Excel to see what kind of port area you'd get that way. Numbers in inches. I assumed a .25" wall thickness for the tubes.

Code:
        Inner	Outer	Effective Round Port Diameter
        16.5	18	7.19
        16.5	20	11.30
        18.5	20	7.60
        18.5	22	11.91
        20.5	22	7.98
        20.5	24	12.48
        22.5	24	8.35
        22.5	26	13.03
        24.5	26	8.70
        24.5	28	13.56
        26.5	28	9.04
        26.5	30	14.06
        28.5	30	9.37
        28.5	32	14.55
        30.5	32	9.68
        30.5	34	15.02

Comment

• Bent
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2003

To me, the better sizes are the 20.5" and 24" as inner and outer tubes.
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would mean 20" inside tube diameter for the 20.5 and 24" inside diameter for the outer - giving an equivalent port diameter of 12.48 inches^2.

"spacers" or shims could be used to help seperate the tubes to make up the port, and a side benefit would be that they'd help to reduce port area (shortening the required port length to a manageable amount.

Now to determine how the gap at the top where the inside tube terminates into the outer chamber (port).

BTW, I'm obviously thinking of a 15" driver as opposed to a 12"er (why re-invent the wheel when we can re-invent a bigger wheel...?)

Comment

• SteveCallas
            • Aug 2005

Please don't take this the wrong way, but does one gain anything with this added complexity? Seems kinda like a slot port with no flaring for a sonosub.

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

no gain to be made - just another way to skin the proverbial cat.

I'm not sure about the lack of flare, but I'm kinda guessing (bare with me here) that with the slot firing downwards that chuffing would be somewhat silenced by the floor anyways.

Comment

• Owen Bartley
                • Sep 2005

For some reason I've never been a huge fan of sonosubs before, I just tend to prefer boxes... but this one has got me thinking. Maybe it's just the coolness factor, but I'm interested. I'm even having trouble picturing the finished product, and how you determine the length of both sections, etc. Let's just say I will be following this thread and hoping for good things.
                - OJ -

My HT and DIY Tempest page
                My DVDs

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

this would mean 20" inside tube diameter for the 20.5 and 24" inside diameter for the outer - giving an equivalent port diameter of 12.48 inches^2.
                  Right, 20" and 24" tubes and 12.5" diameter port (not inches^2). Obviously chuffing wouldn't be a problem with a huge port like that. Even 20" + 22" and an 8" port shouldn't chuff with one driver. Of course those numbers are just ballpark. You'd need to measure the actual tubes' diameter and thickness to finalize the design.

As an aside, this would be a way to build a ported version of Thomas's Tubezilla with a driver on each end. Hard to do with a conventional round port.

Comment

• jacoviii
                    • Sep 2006

ok had a tube once loved it stupid and got rid of it 1 15 jl w3 8cu ft tuned low 150wat sound preaty good out in the open tryed moveing it around finely stuck it in a empty closet and man it went crazy took the door of
                    man stuff started to fall out the celien

but any way

take the first tube 20" er make a face plate to hold the sub
                    now lets say total hight is 46" and port length is 40"
                    take the 20" er cut it to 40" long
                    screw 4 48" 2x2 or 1x2 to the out side of the 20"er leav 6" at the top 2"at the bottom
                    make a end cap for the 24"er and slide it over the 20"er screw the cap to the 4 2x2 and screw down the sides of the 24"er were it tuches the 2x2

just a ruff idea sorry for gramer at work no time

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"