X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Building a dedicated listening room - Ergo's story

Hi,

I have now for a few days been busy on turning my garage into listening room. I have a blog page that I try to update daily. You can find it at Ergo's Blog

The blog makes new posts on top so if one want to read it in correct chronological order one has to start from bottom and work a way up.

The idea of the whole project is not only building a room but also to test my own skills on room acoustics and to study new knowledge. Especially interesting is how well do the Gyptone gypsum boards work to help make the RT60 uniform also on low frequencies.....

Anyway - hope the page is interesting to some of you.

Regards,
    Ergo
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Very cool! It will be good to see it develop- I wish I could have the freedom to do something like that.

I have a couple of comments, after reading what you've done so far. Are you concentrating on soundproofing this room?

The two things that bother me the most about my listening area right now are directly related to soundproofing. First, I live too close to the commuter rail, so I hear whenever a train goes past. This isn't so bad when the window is closed, but during the summer I like the window open for some breeze. The second problem is that I don't like to disturb my neighbors, so I feel hesitant to turn it up as loud as I'd like to. This is obviously less of a problem for you since you have a house, but it could be a concern if you like to listen late at night and you have children with an early bedtime.

If you haven't seen it already, check out Art Ludwig's music room: http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

Good luck, I hope this works out for you! And don't forget, eventually you just have to be done and enjoy your hard work
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ergo
      • Mar 2005

With the drywalls I do not concentrate on soundproofing. I suspect I would need another normal double sided drywall in addition to make it soundproof.

The house I have is actually a "paired house" or what is a correct term in english for two houses side by side. Fortunately the houses are joined by garages - so the neighbours might hear me in their garage but as they use it more intentionally I doubt they will spend as much time there Toward my own house the garage walls are joined by sauna, toilet and maintenance room - so there already is quite good sound barrier between living and bedrooms and the garage room. On top of garage is a roof terrace.

So I'm hoping I can crank up some volume even later at night. (making all round additional drywalls would have wasted too much of room space...)

Ergo

Comment

• tokyofist
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ergo
        The house I have is actually a "paired house" or what is a correct term in english for two houses side by side

Ergo
        that would be a duplex, and from your description it sounds like a nice one

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

I have posted report of the second set of measurements...

HERE

A sample of results as a teaser

Ergo

PS. Comments welcome

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"