X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Laptop requirements

I'm looking for a laptop to do measurements outside. I'll be using Soundeasy and the M-audio mobile pre.

What are the minimum requirements I need?

Also is it possible to just run the mic outside and run a cable back to the mobilepre inside the house? Any problem with running a long (@75 feet) cable? I have a field in front of my house so if I can keep from buying a laptop just walk 75 feet out my door I would like that.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

As you will have those external stuff through USB anyway, pretty much any laptop can do the job.

However, as you go outside, I'd suggest you get a sturdy one like IBM or MSI prebuilt(which you can get parts by yourself and fix it by yourself if anything happens).

I don't recall the strength of XLR in the m-audio would give for mic. But check it out and see whether it can take 75feet or not(it should be able to)
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

Microphone cables in a live sound setting are frequently 50 feet long. As long as it's XLR and the gear can handle it, I say you can get by without a laptop. Of course, you'll also need to run the signal out to your speaker... but I think this can be done with less than a laptop.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Paul W
        • Oct 2004

I used a 75' XLR mic cable for some outdoor measurements a few weeks ago and had no problems. (actually 50' + 25' cables)
        Paul

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I'm using a 1 GHz Centrino with 512MB RAM and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS. It's overkill - way too much power for that kind of measurements (no joke).

The PC I used before I gave it away was a 1998 Compaq Presario with a 450 MHz PII, 384 MB RAM and a Santa Cruz sound card. And it did everything I needed perfectly well.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ya, I wouldn't think an XLR cable would be much of a problem. What about speaker cable? Should be fine with say 12- 14 gauge?

BTW the Behr. UB802 is discontinued, and PE is already out of stock. Now I'm just waiting for newegg.com to get the maudio mobilepre back in stock...
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• Mudjock
              • Sep 2005

I have a spare UB802 if anyone is looking for one... I switched to a Mobilepre-based laptop setup.
              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• Licinius
                • Sep 2006

I've been lurking for months, as I really don't have anything useful to say in the company of quite a few really sharp folks around here, but I've been looking at building myself a new set of speakers and doing some measurements just because it seems interesting (and therefor been looking around for the mobile pre) and Amazon has it for $128 with free shipping.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Licinius
                  I've been lurking for months, as I really don't have anything useful to say in the company of quite a few really sharp folks around here, but I've been looking at building myself a new set of speakers and doing some measurements just because it seems interesting (and therefor been looking around for the mobile pre) and Amazon has it for $128 with free shipping.

You ROCK! Thanks for the heads up man :T
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Outfitter
                    • Apr 2006

Try Zipzoomfly, $119 with free shipping.

Comment

• Marzen
                      • Jul 2005

I recently upgraded to a 2Ghz AMD64 w/ 1 gig of memory. Much faster at optimizing xo's in SE v12 than my previous 1.2G/512K pc. Digital filter operation is smoother as well.
                      I use a 50ft XLR mic cable with preamp box and run it outside along with 50ft of 14awg spkr cable. I'm in the city so I envy your locale.
                      -Ward
                      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                        • Jan 2006

i most definately do not have the answer to this, but doesn't cable start to have significant issues with capacitance, inductance, etc when your dealing with lenghts like that. If so, that would probably make a mess of things.

I think the mobile pre is a pretty old card and maybe not the best value. I just found this on the web and it got my heart racing. http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=15167

I tried an emu 1616, which really impressed me. Of course its a much more expensive unit but I've heard consistently high praise for emu stuff.

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

Would something like this work: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=241-780
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                            • Jan 2006

This is a snippet I found on some companies site. In a nut shell, in about five minutes of reading google hits for "long cable run" I came to the conclusion that if I were in your shoes there is no way I would run long cables to take measurements. I cant say with certainty that it will mess you up but I read enough that I wouldn't trust the measurements. You can pick up laptops these days for about $500 that I suspect would run any of the measurement programs.

"The capacitance of the cable run, together with input impedance, forms a low pass filter. As the cable run gets longer the capacitance increases, thus lowering the cut-off frequency.

Inductance is introduced by the transformer in the microphone itself and the mic splitter. A mathematical model could be made to predict the exact effects for a given microphone, splitter and preamplifiers, but it is sufficient to say that the frequency response will be changed. The effect could be anything from a peaked response, a dip, a low pass or any combination. "

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

All but the most expensive test mics aren't accurate at very high frequencies.

If your using a ECM8000 I wouldn't worry about the minimal high frequency attenuation caused by a longer cable run.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

Where can I find these calibration files for the ecm8000?
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• Marzen
                                  • Jul 2005

I can email you the cal file if you can't find it online.
                                  -Ward
                                  What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"