X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerm357
    • Apr 2006

Is 1 volt low enuff for a cleanbox?

How much signal is my Pro amp missing out on if my receiver Pre out is only sending out a 1v unbalanced signal. Is 1 volt low enuff to justify the purchase of an art cleanbox? I am using an Onkyo receiver (TX-SR600) and an ep1500 pro amp. I just think the amp is not getting all the signal it needs even if its not lacking a huge amount. Has anyone else with an Onkyo felt need for a stronger signal to feed a pro amp?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Probably not sufficient output so yes try a CleanBox

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Jerm357
      How much signal is my Pro amp missing out on if my receiver Pre out is only sending out a 1v unbalanced signal. Is 1 volt low enuff to justify the purchase of an art cleanbox? I am using an Onkyo receiver (TX-SR600) and an ep1500 pro amp. I just think the amp is not getting all the signal it needs even if its not lacking a huge amount. Has anyone else with an Onkyo felt need for a stronger signal to feed a pro amp?
      You're facing the same delimma that I am currently facing. I just ordered my cleanbox a few days ago and hopefully that will fix my problems. I'm using a Onkyo TX-SR703 and it seems my sub doesn't have enough sound for the amount of power I'm sending it.

Comment

• soho54
        • Dec 2005

It is begining to look like Onkyo reciever owners should use a converter by default.
        My have old an old Sony and JVC collecting dust, and they have both been connected to an EP1500 at one time or another with no problems reaching +110db levels at my seat. My current Yami also has no problems, on the sub or mains output. :huh:

Comment

• Jerm357
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
          You're facing the same delimma that I am currently facing. I just ordered my cleanbox a few days ago and hopefully that will fix my problems. I'm using a Onkyo TX-SR703 and it seems my sub doesn't have enough sound for the amount of power I'm sending it.
          Well make sure you keep me informed on your findings. Yes I do think its an Onkyo problem they only use 1v on there pre outs but Denon receivers use a wapping 1.2v on theres.

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

Interesting. My Sherwood states "1 volt rated, 9 max". I think my sub sounds great, but could I also benefit from this? What clean box are you all using?
            Roly

Comment

• Jerm357
              • Apr 2006

Were talking about this one..........

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Jerm357
                Were talking about this one..........

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBox/
                Yeah, I ordered one of those from ebay for $34 shipped.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                  • Aug 2006

PE has them as well for $48. Ground shipping was $8. to my area. Inu you got it at a good price.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                    • Dec 2004

A few questions. I don't see what the output is listed at on the link? 1)What is rated output? Adding one more piece of equimpent? 2)Is switching to balanced, with this unit, going to be any better than just running RCA to RCA or Stereo jack? 3)Have the people using these experienced a huge difference in signal/sub ouput? Thanks everyone.
                    Roly

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                      A few questions. I don't see what the output is listed at on the link? 1)What is rated output? Adding one more piece of equimpent? 2)Is switching to balanced, with this unit, going to be any better than just running RCA to RCA or Stereo jack? 3)Have the people using these experienced a huge difference in signal/sub ouput? Thanks everyone.
                      Roly
                      I was reading on avsforum about some guy that said it made a huge difference in sound for him. He went from +4 db to -1 and was able to turn down the amount of gain needed from the amp. He also said things sounded a lot less strained since he added the cleanbox (which is one reason for me buying one).

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                        • May 2006

Ok, I found out how much the Onkyo preamp section is actually outputting:

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

Chris,
                        The output for the preamp is around 200mV as stated in the owner's manual. Also the 80Hz is the setting of small.

Bob Elder

I guess that's why it seems as if onkyo users need something to boost the signal.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

200mV? Jeez that's inadequate.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                            • May 2006

WOAH!!! That's all i can say after getting my cleanbox hooked up! The difference is like day and night. Right now I'm running all my speakers at normal levels (instead of -5 db) and I have my sub playing at +1db right now. My sub never sounded so good. I guess I really wasn't getting enough input from the preamp.

Comment

• Jerm357
                              • Apr 2006

Thats great :B Now how does this cleanbox work? Do you have to adjust the gains on the clean box or can you just leave them all the way down and still get a +4dbu signal? And with your +1db on the sub out where is your amps gain set to?

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                • May 2006

You have to adjust the knobs on the front of the clean box to specify how much signal gain it will output to the amp. I have my cleanbox set to the 3 o'clock position and right now I have my RL-p15 hooked up to my EP2500 bridged with the amp set to 12 o'clock. I'm thinking this has to do with me using a xlr to 1/4 cable that may be halving the total output to the sub. Also, I have two mono 1/4" cables inline to the sub.

Basically put, I have my Reciever connected to my cleanbox via rca to rca. My cleanbox hooked up to my DSP1124P via xlr to 1/4", and my DSP hooked up to my EP2500 via rca to rca with 1/4" adapters on both ends. I know this isn't the best setup, but I'll upgrade the cables when I get my parts in.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                  • May 2006

Ok, got out of classes for the week I've had time to play with my cleanbox and sub setup and I've got my RL-p playing off of only one channel now and it sounds wonderful! I found out that one of my limiting factors was that I was using my microphone's XLR to 1/4" cable and it made the system sound lighter. Now I've got (nearly) perfect sound comming from my sub at the expense of having to take out my BFD. My settings as of now is EP2500 set at 34db (5 o'clock) and my cleanbox is just a tad off of max.

One thing that the cleanbox did not fix is the gound loop hum caused by using a Y splitter to split the sub out from the preamp. The cleanbox only amplified the ground loop.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                    • Aug 2006

Inu when I first plugged in my EP 1500 I immediately got ground hum. That's with no power turned on. From reading some earler posts on ground loop I got one of those 3 to 2 prong adapters and it immediately went away. If you have not done this you might give it a try.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                      • May 2006

I actually got one of the cheater plugs for both my BFD and my power amp. I went through my whole setup trying to find the problem and it seems that anytime I add a splitter cable to the sub out, I get ground loop problems (I've tried it with two different ones). Without the splitter, I get no hum whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"