X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newroswell
    • Sep 2006

Cerwin-Vega Sub-18 ideas?

I have a chance to pick up one of these babies for about $200. I have access to sonotube upto 36" and could go pretty tall.

But would I be able to mount it down firing? Would I be able to get enough data on the driver to build the correct volume tube and tune the port? Say I built a 800-1000 liter sonosub, what would be the best way to tune the port with a laptop and software?

I should add this is for HT of course. Would I just be better off going with tried and true 340 liter, TC-2000, 6" port tuned to 14.8Hz?

Kevin
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What the prosound world calls a 'subwoofer', everyone else calls a woofer...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• newroswell
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      What the prosound world calls a 'subwoofer', everyone else calls a woofer...
      Thomas, I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. Can I have another clue please? I'm not looking at this as being cheaper than a TC-2000, in fact I have no problem spending upto about $500 for a really nice driver, that will make our unsuspecting friends SHART their pants while watching movies.

Kevin

Comment

• cobbpa
        • Apr 2005

I'm guessing he's referring to the response of a prosound woofer like that. Notice it doesn't even play to 30hz. It's hard to get something like that to play low enough to be anything outstanding for home theater.

On the flip side, as DJ or party / music speakers, something like that is definitely ideal to be crazy loud.

Comment

• newroswell
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cobbpa
          Notice it doesn't even play to 30hz. It's hard to get something like that to play low enough to be anything outstanding for home theater.
          Ah. That makes sense to me now. I think Thomas just underestimated my ignorance. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Habs4life
            • Apr 2006

ahhh! but the specs say it is omnidirectional :B :B

Comment

• newroswell
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Habs4life
              ahhh! but the specs say it is omnidirectional :B :B
              Does that mean it sounds bad in all directions? :T

Comment

• Habs4life
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by newroswell
                Does that mean it sounds bad in all directions? :T
                :B :B

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"