X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawg1161
    • May 2006

Calling On Steve....Calling on Steve

This is for all who can help. My thread is started that way due to his assistance with the 12" Assassin Sonotube that is almost completed. After my young son seen this sub being built he stated awesome dad can you build me one? Well Can I? I have a thread in the AVS Forum but didn't want to repost so i came here. What i would like help with is building a sonosub with the 8" Assassin if that is possible. If not would there be any other ideas using an 8" sub. I have already purchased 12" sonotube and cut the caps for it. The tube is 48" Long and the I.D. is just under 12". If someone who's good at modeling these types of subs could tell me how long the tube needs to be and what size port and length i will be forever in your debt. Thank You all for any help you may provide to me.
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

15 effective liter enclosure, 2" diameter port that is 16.5" long, 350 watt plate amp using a 2nd order highpass at 20hz, and......well, good luck More of a superwoofer than a subwoofer. The thing is gonna chuff like no other.

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

You can't fit a port that long in an enclosure that small using a 12" tube. You've gotta go for a bit bigger volume to fit the port -- tube gets longer and port gets shorter.

Comment

• dawg1161
        • May 2006

I have some left over 16" tube would that make a difference?

Comment

• wackii
          • Jan 2006

I think he meant 150L.

Comment

• SteveCallas
            • Aug 2005

Lol, no, I meant 15 liters. I'd use a different driver - is the bigger factor cost or size?

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

I would like to use a 8" driver....i could go up to a 10" but like i said its just for the boy so he can have one like the old man...he was just in awe over the previous one that you designed for me with the 12" assassin...........Size is a factor at this point when he gets old enough to assist we will build a much larger one(not as large as the one you built ...wow !) but more like a 15".

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by dawg1161
                I have some left over 16" tube would that make a difference?
                No, the problem is having enough tube length for the port. A 10" tube would be better than the 12" -- longer length for the same volume. 16" is going the wrong direction.

Comment

• wackii
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                  Lol, no, I meant 15 liters. I'd use a different driver - is the bigger factor cost or size?
                  I haven't seen you recommend anything under 100L be4, therefore the assumption. My bad. I wonder how are you going to fit the port with that length in that small enclosure as Dennis mentioned.

Comment

• dawg1161
                    • May 2006

Okay, Thank You for explaining that to me . Now i am getting the picture.....Wouldn't think there would be enough room on the endcaps for the driver and the dowells and input cup...have to think on that for awhile.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                      • Aug 2005

The 10" Mach5 Audio sells would probably work nicely. See here.

I haven't seen you recommend anything under 100L be4, therefore the assumption
                      Lol, yeah, it's definitely a first.

Comment

• dawg1161
                        • May 2006

Okay, i have checked out the 10" driver. A couple of questions.

1) I see that it is a DVC 4 ohm - 4 ohm how would i wire this to maintain that ?
                        2) Do I use the 16" tube or the 12" tube ? @ what length also the port size and length?

Looks like a very nice driver...(still dissapointed that the Assassin wouldn't work out.)

The boy will be happy that something can be done, He's really been quite alittle question asker the past couple of days. Maybe he will take to this Hobby as a lifetime adventure ? I wished I had Learned about this years ago.

Comment

• dawg1161
                          • May 2006

Any luck with any of the demensions for this configuration using the 10" Mach5 ?

Comment

• dawg1161
                            • May 2006

Please close this thread. Thank You all for the help

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"