X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alarosa
    • Sep 2006

Questions, Questions Everywhere...

...or "Ending Up With More Questions Then You Came In With!"

So I started reading the AVSForum DIY section on a whim a few weeks ago, and quickly came to the conclusion that I wanted to build a sub (to start.......). I pored through that forum and then this one (which now has a permanent tab in my Firefox session) sucking up information. Most all of my original questions have been answered, but now I have even more to figure out, so I decided to stop lurking and start asking. So here goes....

I'll start off with what I know for sure about my future project. I'm looking at a sealed sub w/ a 12" driver and 500watt PE BASH amp - decisions made because of cost ($600-ish for the project) and environmental (read: what my roommate will let me get away with) factors. Framing of the box will be done with 2x4's (using crackyflipside on AVS's Rythmik Servo box as a model) with additional bracing along the non-equipment bearing walls. The framing will be 16-17 inches^3 (using that volume as the gross box volume). Walls will be either MDF or Baltic Birch plywood, attached to the framing using both wood glue and screws, with the screws sunk below the top plane of the panels to allow fill for finishing. Both the driver and the amp would be mounted directly to the front/back walls. Driver selection is still up in the air, but right now I have images of either a SoundSplinter RL-P12 or Fi Car Audio Q12 (both DVC, 2 ohms per coil, wired in series) dancing in my head. So with all that said....

Qtc
    Using the specs posted on each company's site, I've been modeling both the SS and Fi drivers with WinISD. Both drivers model very close to each other, except for the Qtc ratings. Given equal box volumes, the RL-P12's Qtc is coming in at nearly half the Q12. For an example, given a 49 liter net system volume, the RL-P12 comes in at .369, while the Q12 rates a 0.647. Even dropping the volume for the RL-P12 to 32 liters (1.15 cu. ft. - SoundSplinter's recommended system volume for this driver) only pushes it to 0.421. As I understand it, 0.500 is the critically dampened point, and I'm under the impression that that's about the lowest one would want Qtc to be at for a complete system. Am I misunderstanding what value Qtc should be at? Am I modeling the RL-P12 wrong, or will the Q12 be superior for my needs? Is there something I'm missing?

Baffles
    In reading through the threads here (both subwoofer and full-range designs), using baffles seems to be very popular - almost mandatory in the full-range speaker designs. I've used them in car audio installations before, but mostly for protection from the elements (front door speakers specifically). What benefits does adding them to home speakers confer? Would my design be improved by adding a baffle (or baffles)?

Box Dampening
    I've picked up on using dampening materials to both modify a box's Qtc, as well as decrease vibrations transmitted through the box itself (I'm hoping my frame design helps in that respect as well). If I can adjust my box design for the best Qtc without any fill, would acoustic foam on the inner walls be the best bet for vibration reduction?

Protecting Against Xmax
    Depending on the final driver used and final box specifications, there is obviously the possibiltiy of the driver hitting Xmax before reaching the lowest frequencies (whether or not the final system can actually reach below 20Hz at a level I can detect depends on the room of course). I certainly wouldn't want the driver hitting its excursion limits on a regular basis, so a highpass filter placed strategically would seem to be a good idea. Is there an ideal buffer zone (distance-wise) to chop the signal at?

I've got a brain full of other questions, but I don't want to overload a single thread. My questions on finishing alone will be enough for another braindump, I imagine. Overall though, is there anything I missed? Are there critical flaws in my design? And who's this Natalie P. girl?! :B

My thanks in advance for any insights this forum can provide - reading the threads here has given me plenty of new things to think about and try. I fear DIY may be my new addiction, provided I can supply the cash!
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Final "Q" of a system (driver and enclosure) is known as Qts. A higher Qts (>.7) will generally yield boomier in-room bass when room gain boosts an already flat system response. Some folks prefer this. Lower Qts systems generally have better extension into the lower freqs while having a flatter in-room response. Some folks say it's too dry. Adding EQ to a system raises the Q so starting lower helps overall.

I think you mean grills instead of baffles. Baffles are the front of a speaker enclosure with cut-outs for a driver(s). A grill is just there to protect the drivers and/or affect the looks. Generally grills will affect high freqs by changing the diffraction on a baffle. Subs are not affected by grills.

Filling a sealed sub with fiberfill or fiberglass will increase apparent Vb, making a smaller enclosure behave like a larger one. Since most folks want the smallest looking sub with the best SQ this certainly helps. As for damping a subs effect on an enclosure, bracing is the way to go.

Xmax is the linear travel of a driver. What you want to protect against is over-excursion. Playing the lowest freqs isn't the problem. It's playing those freqs at a given SPL that causes problems. Some folks protect the driver by using an amp that won't send it shooting thru a wall. If you want to crank high SPLs and sacrifice some low end extension then a rumble filter ~18Hz is probably a good idea. Some sub amps have a filter built in that you can use.

All this is "in general". YMMV. Until you build it you won't know for sure but I think you're on the right track. It would also help to supply links to products in your post.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
      • Aug 2001

I would just add that 2x4 framing is for rooms, not subs. Butt-jointed, glued 3/4" BB, with a brace or two, will be at least as good.

Comment

• alarosa
        • Sep 2006

PMazz:

You're right about what baffles are, of course. I was confusing them with the extra MDF/Plywood bracing many people have in their designs. Teaches me to post that late!

Jack:

What can I say, I like a box that I can use as a jackstand for my car if the need arises

Here's some links:

SoundSplinter RL-P12 Drivers
        Fi Car Audio Q Series Drivers
        PE 500W BASH Amp
        Framing Inspiration (Post #32)

My thanks!

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

And who's this Natalie P. girl?!
          That would be Natalie Portman

Since Pete posted before finishing his AM coffee, I'll clarify that Qts is the "Q" of the raw driver, Qtc is the "Q" of the system (driver in the box)

Targeting a Qtc of 0.50 is a good idea if you want the best SQ. If you end up with a "Q" higher than 0.5 you can lower it with electronics.

Regardless of how well the box is built you want to use damping.

For the minimal cost difference I really recommend the RL-p15" over the RL-p12".

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alarosa
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
            For the minimal cost difference I really recommend the RL-p15" over the RL-p12".
            After modeling that driver, I can certainly see why - a very modest increase in box dimensions (2 inches per side) gives a very impressive system! I will certainly ponder this change in plans.

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Regardless of how well the box is built you want to use damping.
            I can't imagine there being any easy formulas to work out how much, but are there any insights into how much should be used in a system? Or is it trial & error type of work?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Damping for a sealed box is 0.5-1.5 lbs/cu ft.

But in the end it's done to taste

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• augerpro
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2006

Great thread! I was just pondering some of the same things.

Do most of you have a particular Qtc you try to target? Ray Alden (speaker building 201) seems to favor .701, any reason not to go lower? What happens as you reach .5?

Also since fill makes the speaker "see" a bigger box and this in turn lowers Qtc, do you build the box with the calculated Vb, stuff it with fill, and let the Qtc go where it may? Or do purposely undersize the box, in the hopes the fill will raise the apparent Vb and end up at the Qtc you wanted to target?

Hope that made sense :W
                ~Brandon 8O
                Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                DriverVault
                Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

My choice is critically damped = Qtc 0.50.

Maximally flat, 0.707 looks good on paper, but the computer sims don't take room gain into consideration. So one can get exaggerated performance with a 0.707 and the effects of room gain.

Unless one is using a Linkwitz transform circuit, it's impossible the lower the Qtc of a system. Use of standard equalization will raise the "Q".

So.....if one can live with a bigger box, IMO it's best to start with a target Qtc of 0.50. It's easy to make a low "Q" system sound like a higher "Q", but difficult to make a higher "Q" system sound like a low "Q" one...

As far as I'm concerned for the n00b builder, it's better to build the box and size it appropriately for the desired "Q", as opposed to try and force the "Q" with damping. If the proposed box size ends up too large to live with, use a LT circuit to bring down the "Q".

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• PMazz
                    • May 2001

Since Pete posted before finishing his AM coffee, I'll clarify that Qts is the "Q" of the raw driver, Qtc is the "Q" of the system (driver in the box)
                    Oops.....

If the proposed box size ends up too large to live with, use a LT circuit to bring down the "Q".
                    It's kinda late for coffee.....

Pete
                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PMazz
                      It's kinda late for coffee.....

Pete
                      It was posted before my AM latte' kicked in, but makes perfect sense to me ...... :B

We encourage people to read between the lines, or try and read my mind, whichever is easier..... :rofl:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jerm357
                        • Apr 2006

Why is this speaker design named after Natalie Portman? Sorry I have to ask.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Evil Twin likes her since she stars in the Star War movies.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                            • Aug 2001

She's much better (hotter) in "Closer". Yowza.

Comment

• Jerm357
                              • Apr 2006

Yea, I like her too. Thats why I had to ask :B

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"