• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

D'appolito - MTM and MMT's

Two questions
    are all speakers in a MTM config considered D'appoplito types, and if not, would the MTM design offer the same vertical dipersion characteristics as a D'Apppolito?

I understand the concept of how a MT can/will result in "lobing", and why a D'appolito type doesn't.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

By definition D'Appolito = MTM

All speakers have a lobing patterns (dispersion characteristics). Different driver configurations have different lobing patterns.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I believe the original concept called for 3rd order butterworth crossover slopes... Not sure if this is part of what is required for it to truly be D'Appolito.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

IIRC, a higher order d'appolito had different lobing than a lower order...

I realize I used the term lobing in the wrong context now, d'appolitos lobing is always constant, and the lobes don't change with frequency - but a MT's lobing would chenge with frequency.

(or something like that).

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Let the battle begin.....
          Biro Technology, audio, hifi, high fidelity, hi-fi,high performance audio, high end audio, stereo, speaker, speakers,loudspeaker, loudspeakers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

The D'Appolito original concept was third order Butterworth and exhibited a fairly uniform vertical distribution in the crossover region when the drivers were within a wavelength. I have heard that Joe himself uses fourth order filters these days, which show a relatively narrow vertical dispersion pattern in the crossover region.

There will be some lobing outside the crossover region as designed by the driver geometry. Every system has off axis response that varies with frequency, even "full range" single driver speakers. The advantage of the D'Appolito arrangement is the pattern does not tilt with frequency as an MT does.

Not that I have the credentials of the author of the article Thomas linked to.

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

that's sum gud readin'

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bent
                that's sum gud readin'
                Yep and there's a test in 2 hours...... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"