X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v8lifestyle
    • Sep 2006

Sub Amp? Which one?

Hey all first post here!! I have been lurking for awhile while researching and designing a sonosub. Anyway I am finishing up my design and now i need help with the selection of an Amplifier. I have the Soundsplinter RL p-15 4ohm sub and would like to know what amp to get. I would also try to keep it as cheap as possible. Also since there are 2 voicecoils in the sub do i only need about 300W per coil, Soundsplinter says "The Premium 15 ... will reach full excursion in most applications with between 600 and 700 watts." Thanks in advance for any replies.
    --Adam :T
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Well, how much power you can use is a function of the type of enclosure you're putting it in. I'm looking at dual RL-p 15D2's in 150L sealed enclosure with 800W into each driver from a Behringer EP2500 amp. In this application the drivers will never reach full excursion.

Comment

• v8lifestyle
      • Sep 2006

I am doing a 300l, ported design.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you can live with the fan noise and $300 is in the budget get the EP2500. Right now you may not need all the power it has but in the future you might.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brendan_L
          • Sep 2006

I know Behringer is a favorite bargain amplifier, especially with PE's service behind it, but has anyone heard or used a Tapco? It's Mackie's value brand.

apparently it is by mackie
          This website is for sale! tapcoworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tapcoworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

review:

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brendan_L
            I know Behringer is a favorite bargain amplifier, especially with PE's service behind it, but has anyone heard or used a Tapco? It's Mackie's value brand.
            If anyone knew anything about those amps they would have answered this question the first time you posted it.
            Hi everybody, I'm zoned in on the enclosure size for the 2X15" sub I'll be building, and I'm looking at amp options. The drivers will be SS-RPL15 D2, so I'm looking at either the Behringer EP1500, the Carvin DCM2500, or the Crown XTi2000. Any amp gurus have any opinions on these choices? Crown is obviously the most

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I am saying this from a pro-audio stand point where I have had lots of experience with Mackie products. Booo to Mackie, every Mackie idem we have owned has had horrific problems in the first 6 months of having them. And honestly the sound is less than impressive for the money. This would be an opinion developed over 3 consoles (1 small format, 1 large format, 1 digital), 2 amps, and 2 loudspeakers. Tried them, and sent them back for our money back… Very disappointing I must say.
              -Joe

Comment

• v8lifestyle
                • Sep 2006

Yeah i was looking at the EP2500, but it seems to have way more power than i need. Is there something that is cheaper and will still gove me enough power? Also how much power is enough?

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Well too much power means this.... The amp will be running easy, and the harder you drive the amp the more distortion it produces. Just you just have to be careful not to blow up your speaker ...

I'm not sure about the EP1500 but it should be cheaper but I don't know the wattage....
                  -Joe

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by v8lifestyle
                    Yeah i was looking at the EP2500, but it seems to have way more power than i need. Is there something that is cheaper and will still gove me enough power? Also how much power is enough?
                    If you need to save the $30 get the 1500, otherwise get the 2500. In the longterm there's no such thing as too much power

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• v8lifestyle
                      • Sep 2006

The 1500 is $20 cheaper than the 2500. So if there are really no cheaper options i may as well get the 2500. BTW the 1500 is 2 x 1400 4-ohm bridged operation. That still just seems like way to much extra power for a sub that is supposed to use 300W-350W per voicecoil, or 600-700W total.

Comment

• v8lifestyle
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        If you need to save the $30 get the 1500, otherwise get the 2500. In the longterm there's no such thing as too much power
                        Yeah money is not really the issue. It just seems as if i am paying for power i will not be using in the near future.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                          • May 2006

I have to agree with Thomas, get the EP2500. If you ever need the power, you'll have it; if you don't then don't use it, but it's always better to have more. I'm using a EP2500 to power my sub right now and it works great with the exception of the fan noise. Also, make sure that your preamp has enough signal power to send to the amp or you'll be like me with having to bridge to get enough power to make the sub play loud.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Don't bridge it. Bridging drastically increases the distortion, people should do that only when absolutely necessary.

Also, make sure that your preamp has enough signal power to send to the amp or you'll be like me with having to bridge to get enough power to make the sub play loud.
                            If you're doing this it's the wrong way to solve the problem. Buy the CleanBox and do this the right way.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• newroswell
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                              I'm using a EP2500 to power my sub right now and it works great with the exception of the fan noise.
                              Man, I want to to buy this amp, but I can't stand fan noise, and everyone is complaining about how loud this thing is. It also looks pretty ugly with a big EUROPOWER label across the front. Yeah, I know complain about the looks is petty, but the fan noise is probably a show stopper for me.

I'm leaning towards the Carvin HD1800 right at this second. I also like that it's built in San Diego.

Kevin

Comment

• WillyD
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by newroswell
                                Man, I want to to buy this amp, but I can't stand fan noise, and everyone is complaining about how loud this thing is. It also looks pretty ugly with a big EUROPOWER label across the front. Yeah, I know complain about the looks is petty, but the fan noise is probably a show stopper for me.

I'm leaning towards the Carvin HD1800 right at this second. I also like that it's built in San Diego.

Kevin
                                This amp is worth a look, then.

Review.

$250 shipped, no fan, 960W @ 4ohms.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

If you use the forum's search function you'll find several fixes for the Behringer fan noise.

The Carvin has a variable speed fan.

Another source for the BK amp

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• v8lifestyle
                                    • Sep 2006

Ok so i think i am gonna get the 2500. I found it for $266, which seems pretty good. Thanks for the help you guys. :T

Comment

• newroswell
                                      • Sep 2006

Besides the price issue, is there any reason why the DAYTON HPSA1000 wouldn't make for a good sonosub amp. A good strong plate amp really fits into my design plans much better than a seperate component, and I'm willing to pay the extra money. I've search around and haven't seen too much about this one yet.

Kevin

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Generally speaking plate amps aren't good long term investments. And one ends up paying for a lot of 'extras' that aren't needed or have limited use (like the almost useless 3 band EQ)

Bolt a regular amp to the back of the sub if you need an all in one solution. That way it's not necessary to make a sub enclosure for the plate amp. No amp should be directly exposed to the rearwave off a subwoofer.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Martyn
                                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by v8lifestyle
                                          Ok so i think i am gonna get the 2500. I found it for $266, which seems pretty good. Thanks for the help you guys. :T
                                          Where did you find it for $266?

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                            • May 2006

Don't bridge it. Bridging drastically increases the distortion, people should do that only when absolutely necessary.

If you're doing this it's the wrong way to solve the problem. Buy the CleanBox and do this the right way.
                                            I'm actually planning on getting the clean box, I'm just waiting to get paid so I can buy it. I can understand what you mean by distortion as I get a lot of it when playing louder scenes in movies. Right now I also have a mean hum comming from my amp; the cleanbox wouldn't help with that now would it?

On your comment above about the rear wave, do you mean near the rear of the sub? My sub isn't fully completed yet and I have it with the driver facing up and the amp is on the floor under where the sub is located. Is that bad?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                                              On your comment above about the rear wave, do you mean near the rear of the sub? My sub isn't fully completed yet and I have it with the driver facing up and the amp is on the floor under where the sub is located. Is that bad?
                                              Is your amp mounted inside the box like a plate amp? That was the topic being discussed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• v8lifestyle
                                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Martyn
                                                Where did you find it for $266?
                                                I am not sure if the forum rules allow me to post links to stores so i sent you a PM.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                  • May 2006

No, I didn't mount it inside the box, it's sitting on the outside.

$266 is a great price, I got mine for $280 and I thought it was good.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"