X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newfiestang50
    • Mar 2006

Sonosub construction finished, first impressions

Well guys I completed construction of my sonosub last night minus the cosmetics, just couldn't wait to give it a try so I temporarily put it together for a couple of days.....all I can say is WOW, this thing is sick, all you fellows out there with over 400watts on these things must be crazy. I bridged my NAD C272 for 400 watts into 4 ohms and it just drives that RL-p15 like you wouldn't believe, I actually can't believe it since I also had it and its partner bridged at one point to drive my stratus golds and found it ran a little to hot for my liking, but it just gets warm on the sub, I don't think i will even invest in the ep-2500.

I haven't really watched any movie as such, but I did watch the Eagles, "Hell freezes over" concert on DVD and it was unbelievable, I mean you could actually feel the room pressurize, I am in total shock, something this much fun to build can be so much better than my B&W ASW675 which I paid $1500 cdn for.

My final design was 250 L, 20" sonotube with a 6" x 27" port for an approx. tune of 15hz powered by just 400 watts.

For all you out there trying to decide if you are going to build or buy a factory built sub, I would strongly recommend you try one of these sonosubs, it will by far surpass anything you can buy under $2500 cdn, trust me I have had a few in that price range.

Once again thanks to all you guys for the free information and helping answer some of the armature questions I had over the last 6 months (I can't believe it took me that long to decide)

Here is a few pics of my build as well as my rack and system if interested. Thanks.

Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:16 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • nick77
    • Apr 2006

Congrats! It looks awesome even in its temporary dress. I throw 750 watts at mine and its unreal, have to turn down the bass in movies sometimes to be in the same room. Hehe :B

Comment

• Jerm357
      • Apr 2006

I built a 240l with a 17hz tune RL-P and am also only putting about 450w to it. I to love the sound of this setup with only 450w but its real nice to know that there is room for amp upgrade some time in the future :B

Comment

• Newfiestang50
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jerm357
        I built a 240l with a 17hz tune RL-P and am also only putting about 450w to it. I to love the sound of this setup with only 450w but its real nice to know that there is room for amp upgrade some time in the future :B
        Ya I guess more power could be needed someday but right now it sounds awsome, those NADS are way underated in my opinion, I once had the Adcom GFA-555 II which was rated at 325 watts per ch but when I bought the NAD's I could not believe how much more power they had, and they are only rated at 150 watts. I think the headroom for the NAD amps are large, the C272 has 1132 watts of dynamic power on reserve in bridge mode, and I can certainly feel that.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Newfiestang50
          Here is a few pics of my build as well as my rack and system if interested. Thanks.

Where's the b- Oh. There ^ it is.

That looks beefy!
          Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:17 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• steve nn
            • Jan 2006

all I can say is WOW, this thing is sick, all you fellows out there with over 400watts on these things must be crazy. I bridged my NAD C272 for 400 watts into 4 ohms and it just drives that RL-p15 like you wouldn't believe,
            I believe you. Nice work and Congrats on your new sub. Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Comment

• SteveCallas
              • Aug 2005

I'd say that probably 95% of the time you won't even be using 100 watts - but when the really dynamic scenes come, power usage will surge into the hundreds of watts really quickly.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                • Apr 2006

very nice. I'm nearing the completion of my unit as well, it is hard not to rush to hear the unit. Glad to hear positive news as I toil away completing assembly.

Comment

• Newfiestang50
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                  very nice. I'm nearing the completion of my unit as well, it is hard not to rush to hear the unit. Glad to hear positive news as I toil away completing assembly.
                  Ya its great to be done, now I just have to figure out what to do with the 6 ft of sonotube I have left in my basement, he he......then again it will probably mean divorce if i mention a twin. It was worth a million bucks to see the look on my wifes face when she seen it for the first time, I mean these things are not something you can tuck under a end table like I did with my ASW675.

Comment

• Newfiestang50
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by steve nn
                    I believe you. Nice work and Congrats on your new sub. Welcome to the Brotherhood.
                    Thanks steve I read all about yours and the other guys on here such as Chase and Mr. Callas, I was a long time dreamer sitting on the fence but I am sure glad I took the plunge, the only problem I have now is that all my friends want one as well and I am the only one that has the tools and the knowledge to built it.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                      • Aug 2005

Thanks steve I read all about yours and the other guys on here such as Chase and Mr. Callas
                      I think (hope?) you mean Chasw and not Craig Chase. I'm glad you didn't aspire to build something like his sub :rofl:

the only problem I have now is that all my friends want one as well and I am the only one that has the tools and the knowledge to built it
                      now I just have to figure out what to do with the 6 ft of sonotube I have left in my basement
                      I $mell a financial opportunity :T

Comment

• Newfiestang50
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                        I think (hope?) you mean Chasw and not Craig Chase. I'm glad you didn't aspire to build something like his sub :rofl:
                        :T
                        Ha Ha, yes I meant Chasw, mine is pretty much a clone of his.

I $mell a financial opportunity

Hey, never thought of that, building a few and getting paid, sounds like a plan.

Comment

• steve nn
                          • Jan 2006

I was a long time dreamer sitting on the fence but I am sure glad I took the plunge, the only problem I have now is that all my friends want one as well and I am the only one that has the tools and the knowledge to built it.
                          So tell me is that not a good sub or what?
                          Hey, never thought of that, building a few and getting paid, sounds like a plan.
                          Since your up in Canada, that's a dam good idea. :roflmao:

Comment

• Newfiestang50
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by steve nn
                            So tell me is that not a good sub or what?

Since your up in Canada, that's a dam good idea. :roflmao:
                            Not sure what you mean by the up in Canada part, I was thinking how lucky you guys are in the US because all the components for such projects are pretty much at your finger tips plus the shipping and duty for the drivers and other kit kind of make us in Canada have second thoughts.

Comment

• steve nn
                              • Jan 2006

Not sure what you mean by the up in Canada part, I was thinking how lucky you guys are in the US because all the components for such projects are pretty much at your finger tips plus the shipping and duty for the drivers and other kit kind of make us in Canada have second thoughts.
                              Oh I'm just playing I assure you. I'll PM you so you will understand the humor. Your sub looks great and very nice work :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"