X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Which spl meter should I get?

Since I'm getting a BFD, I'm wondering which spl should I get? I see there's an analog one and digital one from Radio shack. Which is better?

Also, would it be better to just go ahead and buy a ecm-8000 and not worry about getting a spl?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes by all means spend the money and get the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic, a mic preamp and use a PC.

It's more costly but it's a significantly better system, that you'll be able to use for years...It's once set up it's easy to make SPL measurements, though not as convenient as a hand held meter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply thomas. Just out of curiosity, which type of spl meter would you get? I'll definately get an ecm-8000 if it's that much better than the spl.

I know there was a thread about phantom power for the ecm-8000, but what power supply would you recommend for it as well?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The only thing I've ever owned that was a close to a SPL meter was a weird little thing made by Technics. It had a separate a mic that plugged into a box containing warble tone generator and the SPL meter. It died a long time ago.

If you want the most portable system, get the M-Audio Mobile Pre. It's a USB mic preamp/soundcard with phantom power. It works with any PC. Street pricing is ~$150

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cobbpa
          • Apr 2005

If I have a full duplex soundcard, I would need a mic, preamp, and phantom power source. That's it to get basic readings, right?

Comment

• knifeinthesink
            • Jan 2006

i just bought a behringer mic800. It was the least expensive solid state mic pre available at $56 can. Cheaper in the US. Seems to be good. Measured a speaker that has been used by a well known designer and the measurements I got seemed to be pretty close. Bear in mind im not experienced so I would be inclined to attribute variations to operator error or at least the room.

I use this with an audigy 2 I paid about $60 for.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cobbpa
              If I have a full duplex soundcard, I would need a mic, preamp, and phantom power source. That's it to get basic readings, right?
              Yep that's it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                • May 2006

Originally posted by cobbpa
                A preamp? What type of preamp are we talking about here?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

A microphone preamp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                    • May 2006

Could you point me in the direction of a mic preamp? Or would a mic input/output on my soundcard be enough?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

Unfortunately no, mic inputs on soundcards usually only amplify the signal, you need a microphone preamp that supplies phantom power to the microphone as well as amplifying the signal. Anywhere from 24V to 48V phantom power is usually fine for most mics, I think my preamp does 36V.

I bought an ART MicroMix for $50 that I haven't used yet, so I can't say if it's good or not. There's also another good little $70 box out there that I think musician's friend carries (Rolls is the brand) and then there's something like the m-audio mobile pre.

Basically, you just need a little $50-$150 box, depending on how fancy you want to get, to stick in between the microphone and your computer's line in (NOT mic in).

Comment

• kano32
                        • Feb 2006

Would either of these work as a preamp?

Comment

• Mazeroth
                          • Nov 2004

The first Behringer won't cut it. I'm not sure about the ROLLS, but a less expensive alternative is this Behringer. It's used by many speaker builders:

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

My preference would be for the Rolls Kano linked rather than a Behringer mixer. The Behringers have tone controls that can't be disabled and you just have to trust that the center position of of the pot is giving you flat response.

That said, if you're using a laptop for measuring, you'll need an external sound card too. The built-in ones in most laptops suck. The all-in-one M-Audio Mobile Pre Thomas linked is hard to beat as it combines a good sound card with a preamp.

Comment

• Outfitter
                              • Apr 2006

I picked up a M-Audio mobilepre on ebay for about $65. It didn't have the original packaging or software, but none is needed for audio measurements. I have it paired with the Behringer ECM8000. Now it's just a matter of knowing what measurement program to use.

Comment

• Exocer
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Outfitter
                                I picked up a M-Audio mobilepre on ebay for about $65. It didn't have the original packaging or software, but none is needed for audio measurements. I have it paired with the Behringer ECM8000. Now it's just a matter of knowing what measurement program to use.
                                Use REW

Comment

• jdybnis
                                  • Dec 2004

Behringer has a new mic preamp selling for only $20.

Get the guaranteed best price on Pro Audio Power Supplies like the Behringer PS400 MicroPower Power Supply at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.
                                  -Josh

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                    • Apr 2006

I think that's just a phantom power supply, not a mic preamp - I made that mistake when I ordered my ART, had to call back and get them to switch the order to the full-blown pre instead of the phantom power supply.

Comment

• jdybnis
                                      • Dec 2004

What is missing from just a phantom power supply? Can't you just put it between the mic and the soundcard's mic-in?
                                      -Josh

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                        • Apr 2006

Yes, but then you are dependent upon the quality of that soundcard's mic preamp. Depending on your soundcard, that could be good or bad.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdybnis
                                          What is missing from just a phantom power supply? Can't you just put it between the mic and the soundcard's mic-in?
                                          No, one needs a specific kind of preamp for a test mic...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                            No, one needs a specific kind of preamp for a test mic...
                                            So the m-audio is the best solution to the whole issue then? I was hoping to get an all in one type of thing.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Though it's not the cheapest solution, the M-Audio is the only thing that's completely self contained and plugs into any PC

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jdybnis
                                                • Dec 2004

My mistake. I see now that behringer only adds phantom power and passes the signal through, without bringing it up to line-level.
                                                -Josh

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                  • May 2006

One kinda dumb question, is it possible to use a DSP1124P as a preamp is it? I know that the ecm8000 is packaged with the DEQ.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                                                    One kinda dumb question, is it possible to use a DSP1124P as a preamp is it?
                                                    Does the DSP1124P owners manual show a microphone input?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                      • May 2006

Page 12 shows one, but I'm guessing that's different from the one that the DEQ has?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

There is no input jack labeled 'microphone' (mic) on a DSP1124P.

Just because there are XLR jacks on a piece of gear doesn't mean it's for a microphone.

Standard line level signals are connected with XLR jacks on equipment with balanced circuits

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• basementjack
                                                          • Dec 2004

Hey I'm in the same boat - looking at a few options.
                                                          Maudio is one of them, also there's a tascam 122 thats supposed to be very good.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the software programs?
                                                          I've done some searching and turned up so much I can't decide which to purchase and don't really want to buy multiples.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

People can start off with Room EQ Wizard for free.

No time limit but function crippled demos are available for TrueRTA and ETF 5.0.

A functional version of Spectrasoft is available for demo, BUT it writes to a fixed cluster on the HD and can't be completely removed without reformatting. Also the full version is VERY expensive.

Speaker Workshop is freeware. It's pretty user unfriendly and there's minimal real world support other than a manual

The Arta demo is fully functional with the exception of importing and saving of files

Google will take people to any of the above programs

There's more freeware here, I haven't played with any of it

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dCraig
                                                              • Jun 2006

Any reason why the EDIROL UA-25 won't work as a good mic preamp with USB support? Anyone ever tried this one? I want to measure speaker output, record some audio to PC and test my room accoustics.

The Global website of Roland Corporation, a leading manufacturer and distributor of electronic musical instruments, including keyboards and synthesizers, guitar products, electronic percussion, digital recording equipment, amplifiers, audio processors, and multimedia products.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

It has all the necessary hardware functions. But you should check with the publishers of whatever software you want to use to see if it works with their programs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jdybnis
                                                                  • Dec 2004

It works but it's $100 more than the mobile pre. One word of warning, it draws a lot of power through the USB. I plugged it into a passive usb hub and it killed the thing.
                                                                  -Josh

Comment

• kramskoi
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
                                                                    One kinda dumb question, is it possible to use a DSP1124P as a preamp is it? I know that the ecm8000 is packaged with the DEQ.

a ROLLS MP-13 will set you up...i think around $50 :T
                                                                    ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
                                                                    M. Boutte HT
                                                                    3x15" @ 10 Hz

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2006

Hey I just scored the M-audio pre on ebay for $78.Cool. Thanks Thomas for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"