X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

How to remove a loose screw?

I know this is going to sound entirely dumb, but when I was mounting my driver to my enclosure, I ran into two area's where I guess the screw did not make (full) contact with the wood. When I try to remove those screws, they don't want to come out... Does anyone know a good way to take the screw out without taking the whole driver out? The screw is making a rattling noise when I'm listening to the sub at louder levels.
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Have you tried a magnetic head screwdriver? Can you get the head above the lip of the frame? If you can you may need to get a small device under the head to put some upward pressure on it as you turn the screw, be careful not to slip.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

I DID IT!!! I was able to get a small flathead screwdriver under the head and into the threads. From there I was able to take it out! Thanks for the suggestion of getting something under the head of the screw, it helped out a lot!

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

you can now pack the hole with trimmed toothpicks, then turn the screw back in.
        the toothpicks will push outwards from the screw, and give the screw more "meat" to dig it's teeth into.

Comment

• mrogowski
          • Jul 2006

Better yet, if you have some 5 minute epoxy, just fill the hole with that. Its tougher than wood.
          Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
            • May 2006

Originally posted by mrogowski
            Better yet, if you have some 5 minute epoxy, just fill the hole with that. Its tougher than wood.
            Would that really work? I would imagine that the glue would be only sticky and not hard. Maybe if I added some sawdust?

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

Either will work. I'd use the toothpicks but also apply a drop of wood glue in the hole.

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"