X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newfiestang50
    • Mar 2006

First cuts made today

Well I finally made my first cuts today after a long process of reading all the info I could find on here, plus saving up the cash to buy a router, bits, and a circle jig. I have never used a router before but through careful measurement I managed to achieve a perfect fit with the baffle and top plug, very tight fit but after using a 1/8" roundover it fits perfect. Tomorrow I plan on recessing the driver and cutting the hole for the 6" port for which I plan to use sonotube. I am aiming for tune between 15 and 16 Hz so I believe I will need it cut approx. 33". The one problem I do have is that my jig will not allow me to cut a circle smaller than 10.5" so I have to come up with a way to rout a 6" hole, any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, I plan on an enclosure size of 250 effective litres using 20" sonotube, and the driver is the very well known SS RL-P15 D2.

Also guys, I would really like to thank all the experts on here for your free information, specifically ThomasW, Seve Callas etc. and all the others, you don't know it but you guys have helped me alot and i'm not even finished yet, thanks.

Some pics: Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:14 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Congratulations on the new sub. You might look into a Jasper jig 200 it did the whole for my 15" sub and my small tweeter. Pretty broad range. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Newfiestang50
      ... The one problem I do have is that my jig will not allow me to cut a circle smaller than 10.5" so I have to come up with a way to rout a 6" hole, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Unplug your router and turn it upside down. Carefully measure and mark on your router base plate an X exactly 3" from the far side of the router bit you're using (rotate your router bit slightly to get the far side of the cutting edge as far away from the X you're about to mark as possible, then measure and mark).

Now find a centre pin about which your router will be able to rotate - piece of a nail, leftover piece of a bolt, small pin inserts for shelf supports - whatever you've got around.

Drill a hole to suit the pin at your X in your router baseplate. Drill another hole at the centre of your hole you want to cut. Insert pin in baseplate, place router so pin goes in centre hole, and make copious dust.

I use scrap lexan for router baseplates, which hold up well to drilling full of holes and knocking around. Acrylic baseplates, which the routers are often supplied with, must be treated with kid gloves, as many who have accidentally cracked their router baseplate can attest.

Comment

• Newfiestang50
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Paul H
        Unplug your router and turn it upside down. Carefully measure and mark on your router base plate an X exactly 3" from the far side of the router bit you're using (rotate your router bit slightly to get the far side of the cutting edge as far away from the X you're about to mark as possible, then measure and mark).

Now find a centre pin about which your router will be able to rotate - piece of a nail, leftover piece of a bolt, small pin inserts for shelf supports - whatever you've got around.

Drill a hole to suit the pin at your X in your router baseplate. Drill another hole at the centre of your hole you want to cut. Insert pin in baseplate, place router so pin goes in centre hole, and make copious dust.

I use scrap lexan for router baseplates, which hold up well to drilling full of holes and knocking around. Acrylic baseplates, which the routers are often supplied with, must be treated with kid gloves, as many who have accidentally cracked their router baseplate can attest.
        Sounds like an excellent idea, I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks.

Comment

• Jerm357
          • Apr 2006

Great start. I just finished my RL-P15 build, I shot closer to 240l and a slightly higher tune of 17hz. Your gonna love how these things sound in the right enclosure :B What are you going to use to power this beast? BTW Heres a link to my build, have a look.

Comment

• nick77
            • Apr 2006

I used the same jig you have also, great for large circles but worthless for small holes. I just used a jigsaw to complete port hole. 20" sono and 6"port at 28" tuned to ~16.7hz w/RLP-15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture391.webp
Views:	19
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	943029
            Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:15 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Newfiestang50
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jerm357
              Great start. I just finished my RL-P15 build, I shot closer to 240l and a slightly higher tune of 17hz. Your gonna love how these things sound in the right enclosure :B What are you going to use to power this beast? BTW Heres a link to my build, have a look.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722363
              Right now I am going to use a spare NAD C272 bridged to provide 400watts into 4 ohms, I know it is probably a little short on power but it will have to do for a while until some more cash is available to buy the behringer ep-2500.

I hope I am pleased with the sound since I have commited to sell my B&W ASW675 which is a really nice sub but I feel it it overpower by my mains, PSB Stratus Gold i.
              Last edited by Newfiestang50; 15 September 2006, 12:45 Friday.

Comment

• kano32
                • Feb 2006

Can't wait to see your results. I am still trying to decide if I want to do a sonosub or an IB. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"