X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sponge
    • May 2006

Show me your rack!

Not that rack ladies...

All you DIY home theater guys that have built an inwall rack please share your pictures...more importantly can you fill me in on what you built it out of and such.

I have plenty of room and plan on filling it with all the goodies I have been collecting...Receiver/CD Player/DVD/DTV box/TiVo/XBOX360/PS2/XBOX/N64/NES/SuperNES/Genesis/3D0/PC and a PS3 and Wii when they are out. Probably a shelf or two or three :W for DVD's, Games, and a drawer for game controllers

Thanks guys!
    Old HT guy getting back into it!
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

I built a dvd rack as opposed to an in wall equipment rack, but they are similar. Melamine board would probably be your best bet - easy and clean.

Comment

• Sponge
      • May 2006

That's what I was thinking but trying to find it in black is next to impossible...where did you get yours?

Comment

• Sponge
        • May 2006

Well I framed in the rack this weekend and I think its going to work beautifully...does anyone have any input on beauty board or location to buy black shelving?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Never heard of 'beauty board' (neither has Google) and never seen black Melamine.

You best bet for black is probably plastic laminate (Wilson Art, Formica, etc).

Have fun dusting these... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Sponge
            • May 2006

What I meant by 'Beauty Board' is a panel over the front of the cabinet/shelves with holes cut out so all you see is the audio equipment w/no gaps or anything like that.

i.e. the pro rack look but a little more polished and I can pop it off to get my arms around pull the equipment out with ease.

I have rear access to the equipment too so front access isn't neccessary hence why I want it to look all buttoned up.

Comment

• Sponge
              • May 2006

Ah I found a picture of what I have in mind...I want a drawer too though so I can store my controllers, camera's, and camcorders in...

This looks more like a pre-made rack or kit?

Ideas?

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                • May 2006

Wow.

I like that look. The only thing I do not like about it is that the part you refer to as "beauty board" is separate from the shelf it sits on. Too much of a "disconnected" look for me.

I think I will use a similar concept in my entertainment center, when I make it. I will use a one piece board with correctly shaped cutouts for all the components on that pier. It will attach to the end of the fixed shelves of that pier, and the whole thing will be removed for access to components. I might use speaker grill ball-and-cup fasteners to secure it.

Thanks for the idea! :T
                Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you're talking about a facade with cutouts you'll probably need to use a high pressure plastic laminate.

This looks more like a pre-made rack or kit?
                  Looks like an oven to 'cook' components...:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Sponge
                    • May 2006

Jonathan you and I are on the exact same page...you described it better than I did...

Thomas that is kind of what my though was too on the front/facade/beautyboard

as for the oven LOL! I know exactly what your thinking...

That's why I want the front board so I don't have to enclose the sides or back of the rack...It is 20" wide on the inside so it will have plenty of room around it and with thte board on the front it can look nice and just be plain and ugly on the inside more for heat than anything.

My drywall guy really wants to enclose it but I told him not too...

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

That looks like a standard EIA relay rack using Middle Atlantic components to make it look beauty - ful. You can see them here http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsm.htm
                      As Thomas would say "very $pendy".
                      They sell a lot of accessories to spruce them up.

Comment

• Sponge
                        • May 2006

That does look quite nice...and I would agree on the looks 'very spendy' part. I am into doing it myself. Thanks for the link it has given me some fun ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"