X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

1/2 baltic birch plywood BB grade

I never have been happy with my IB sub install. I went with a flat panel down firing install using 15" atlas speakers. I sandwiched 3/4" mdf with 1/2" plywood for strength. So anyway it is ugly and heavy as hell. So I have been looking for BB plywood to replace it and decided to do it in two seperate sections with a woofer in each section. I also want to make some mains to match my WMTW center.As I mentioned in an earlier thread I hated all the mdf dust. Well I was looking as far as houston for a solution when my brother in law happens to mention in passing he saw some 1/2" plywood in 5X5 sheets marked russian plywood at a local lumber yard. So I go there to check it out not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised it was BB grade baltic birch for $20 a sheet! :B I figure I can just double up on the thickness and will be good to go.
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

There shouldn't be any problem doubling up the 1/2" plywood. You'll get the best strength by far with an application of wood glue between layers; one thing I've seen is that it's hard to keep them perfectly aligned during drying, so be prepared to do some cutting and/or trimming afterwards.

Did you say that you had your woofers firing straight down, mounted on a flat panel? Are you already familiar with why you'd want to have them firing towards each other into a manifold? I think you'll get much better results with that, if it's a possiblity.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• dynamowhum
      • Aug 2006

Yes Joe I know about the manifold,thanks. My problem is the lack of space above my ceiling. I would have preferred going that way. I even considered an outy, but I don't like how it looks. If however I begin to hate that sound I may go ahead and do it. Thanks for the tip on the glue up drift. I might make them oversized then cut them to size or possibly drill some holes to pin them in alignment. Cheers.

Comment

• gimpy
        • Sep 2004

To maybe help with the drift on glue-up, possibly try building an "L" type jig that you can snug them up to.

Good luck, Frank

Comment

• ifeliciano
          • Aug 2006

I use blue painters tape to keep the layers from shifting.

Ivan

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"