X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newfiestang50
    • Mar 2006

HELP, Cutting Sonotube

Guys, I have everything needed to start my sonosub but I can't find any information on here about the process used for cutting the sosotube. Does anyone have a trick to accurately cut this stuff? If so please chime in. Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I cut an endcap that slides inside the tube and tack it in place. I use a carpenters square to ensure the endcap is perpendicular to the tube. Then use a router and a flush-cut bit.....that makes a perfect cut every time.

Looks like this when you're doing it....

Click image for larger version

Name:	sw16.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	944297
    Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 20:55 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Newfiestang50
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      I cut an endcap that slides inside the tube and tack it in place. I use a carpenters square to ensure the endcap is perpendicular to the tube. Then use a router and a flush-cut bit.....that makes a perfect cut every time.

Looks like this when you're doing it....

Click image for larger version  Name:	sw16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.8 KB ID:	944297

When you say "tack it in place" do you mean with a brad nailer, and if so how hard is it to get the end cap out after? Seems to me like you would have to tear the nails through the sonotube.
      Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 20:56 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• soho54
        • Dec 2005

I don't believe you take it back out.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Let's put our thinking caps on.......

If you want to remove the end-cap use a few small screws to hold it in place, and back them out after the cut is completed.

The other technique is circumscribe the tube and cut it with a jigsaw.

Rockler sells a nifty flat tape measure designed for wrapping around a cylinder. There's also a thing called a 'pipe-tape' it's a wide flat rolled up piece of very thick paper/plastic that one unwraps around the tube and is used to scribe a line.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

I use the builder's / painter's paper in the paint section at HD/Lowe's. They come in 3' and 6" widths IIRC. Get the smaller width (or any stiff roll paper) and wrap it around the tube and make the ends meet - the edge of the paper defines your cut line. Cut with a jig saw.

Comment

• Hank
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2002

El Nino gave you the good tip. I used a roll of gift wrap. Like he says, wrap the paper around and if the overlapped edges are in alignment, that "cut edge" will automatically give you a cut end that is perpindicular to the tube sides. Now you need Patrick Sun, covered in MDF dust, to give you some more tips.

Comment

• Newfiestang50
                • Mar 2006

Thanks guys, I will give the builders paper a try as soon as my sonotube arrives on tuesdsay. Can't wait to get started, that SS RL-p15 is just begging for an enclosure.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

I would like it noted that, since Hank admitted I gave a good tip, he has lost all rights and privileges to henceforth call me "full of shit"

Comment

• steve nn
                    • Jan 2006

I like to measure off the sono and then apply the blue painters tape. After doing so I then make my cut with a thin blade fine toothed finish saw in the middle of the tape. After doing so, it's a good idea to put a band of tape on the inside and over the end to protect your work and cylinder.

Name:	100_2399.webp
Views:	19
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	944295
                    Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 20:53 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I just lube up ol' Bessie here and run it across the tube myself......

Name:	naxos-marble-saw.webp
Views:	19
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	944296
                      Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 20:54 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

EL Nino, you are 98% full of it.

Chas: nice blade! I've got a stack of MDF that I'll bring over for some slicing and dicing. Diamond blades are a guy's best friend.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

Hey be nice now, or I'll forget to swing by your place on my room acoustics measurement tour of Austin

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"