X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

General Questions; basics & theory

I originally posted this in the NatP thread since those speakers are being considered. I deleted that post & moved it here, made it more general in hopes of getting more discussion.
    Soon I'll start a thread with more detail of an upcoming family project, but to summarize: fairly large (mainly deep) room with a large opening in the back, 100" screen and speakers either on the wall or built flush into the wall. Still definitely in planning stages. After reading through the entire thread, I have a couple of questions.

--I read that on-wall mounting, with a deep enough cabinet, the given crossiver & incorporate BSC are probably acceptable for most of the speakers in the Missions Accomplished. Are there any easy changes (i.e., varying a resistor, bumping up woofer section's inductor gauges, larger gauges in the tweet circuit) in the crossover that would easily knock down the BSC enough for flush mounting?

--The size of the screen may dictate that the center channel's highest point is only ~4 feet above the floor. This makes me think a horizontal placement should be considered, since it puts the tweeter nearer ear-level. With the given size screen, most listeners would be at least 10 feet from the screen. Would this distance create a listening window wide enough to overcome the usual negatives that come with a horizontal MTM center?

--Would a sealed version of a speaker raise impedance in the lower octaves much? Mainly this concerns surrounds, which will likely be crossed over at 70 or 80 hz anyway, but since it will be a receiver powering them, saving the AVR some 'work' from pushing lower impedances may be nice. The front 3 would definitely be ported

--Also concerning being powered by a receiver, could one build these as bi-ampable? Assuming the given receiver has a setting where the surround back channels can be used as additional front power. Some do have this feature, IIRC, right? The decision has yet to be made on 5.1/2 or 7.1/2. The surround backs would most likely be very far back Modula MTs, if those rear channels are used. Again...the audio is in the planning stages.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are there any easy changes (i.e., varying a resistor, bumping up woofer section's inductor gauges, larger gauges in the tweet circuit) in the crossover that would easily knock down the BSC enough for flush mounting?
    Sorry but no easy fixes.
    Would this distance create a listening window wide enough to overcome the usual negatives that come with a horizontal MTM center?
    Again no. There are inherent issues using a vertically designed MTM in a horizontal config. That's why there are specific center channel designs.
    --Would a sealed version of a speaker raise impedance in the lower octaves much?
    Doesn't change the impedance of the woofer. Does change the box tuning, but that isn't an issue with a 80Hz crossover point.
    -Also concerning being powered by a receiver, could one build these as bi-ampable? Assuming the given receiver has a setting where the surround back channels can be used as additional front power.
    You could bi-wire them, not really sure if that would buy you much at all.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cobbpa
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Again no. There are inherent issues using a vertically designed MTM in a horizontal config. That's why there are specific center channel designs.
      Do you agree that the tweeter height is important enough to warrant a horizontal center, or would a vertical speaker still be preferred even if the tweeter is 6-10" below ear level?

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Doesn't change the impedance of the woofer. Does change the box tuning, but that isn't an issue with a 80Hz crossover point.
      Right, I was just thinking it may make the woofer more "controlled", as is sometimes said with a sealed box. Assuming an 80hz crossover, is there any reason to consider ported surrounds?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There are 2 choices for a MTM center. Use a regular design for a vertical placement, or use a specially designed unit if the need is for a horizontal placement.

Ported surrounds if you want to run them as 'large' otherwise build them sealed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cobbpa
          • Apr 2005

K, these mostly verify what I was guessing...maybe more questions to come.

Thank ya Thomas :T

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

I've found that a vertical MTM mounted horizontally will do fine as a CC if you move the woofers close together and offset the tweeter as needed. Maybe not ideal, but functional.

If you're going for more than a single row of seats a low CC mounting is going to cause issues.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"