X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knifeinthesink
    • Jan 2006

anyone tried mach 5 6.5" drivers?

All the talk has been about the cheap 12" and 18" drivers but the 6.5" is built like a tank and only $13.50!

Use this area to place widgets or custom HTML for your visitors. This is a custom widget displaying a summary of a chosen page. It would automatically get the excerpt of that page and place it here (or wherever you place the widget).

I was wondering if anyone had tried them?

Im not taking the FR plot at face value since often venders are rather kind to themselves, but if it is accurate that would be quite the easy driver to work with.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

If I was you, I'd send one to JohnK @ zaphaudio, and let him compare it to all of the other 6.5-7" drivers he has tested. You'll know what kind of performer it is then.

Comment

• mrogowski
      • Jul 2006

I can make the response curve flatter if you wish... :

Joking aside, the 6.5" units are probably the best deal you will see on the site - I'm basically giving them away. The response curve you see is near-field, pink noise fed. I'm still tweaking the gating on my software...

Now, I haven't communicated personally with John, but I would certainly be open to sending him one (or two) units for testing if someone here who knows him can set it up.

I would certainly do it if someone told me he's a really nice, open guy who communicates freely with strangers. Somehow, I didn't get that from the FYI section of his website tho...

Best regards,
      Mark
      Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• Tommythecat
        • Nov 2005

From what i've seen he's a very nice guy. The reason he's a little hard to get a hold of is that he doesn't recommend diverging from his designs, as he doesn't have a lot of time to help people change crossovers or overhaul designs.

But he also has stated on his website that he is taking a break from testing drivers(maybe until this beginning of fall, cant remember). When he'll be ready to take samples, I'm sure he'll post it on his blog/diary section of the website.

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tommythecat
          From what i've seen he's a very nice guy. The reason he's a little hard to get a hold of is that he doesn't recommend diverging from his designs, as he doesn't have a lot of time to help people change crossovers or overhaul designs.

But he also has stated on his website that he is taking a break from testing drivers(maybe until this beginning of fall, cant remember). When he'll be ready to take samples, I'm sure he'll post it on his blog/diary section of the website.

Ahh, I didn't know that.

Well...what about Mark K? Link.

Comment

• mrogowski
            • Jul 2006

I haven't been to Mark's site in quite awhile...

I PM'd him with the request. We'll see if he responds...

Best,
            Mark

Comment

• knifeinthesink
              • Jan 2006

Inspite of the prickly vibe on his site, he's quite responsive on the various forums and seems to be willing to help out. I think he's just direct and wants to ward off time wasters.

I would try emailing him even if he has decided to take a break from testing. Your 6.5 drivers are remarkably solid looking for the very low price, and if these perform well they could really make some waves. Perhaps the prospect would be enough to persuade him to add one more driver.

Whatever the case, thanks for replying in person. Its nice to see.

David

Comment

• mrogowski
                • Jul 2006

Well, I just confirmed that John has disabled his email link. So, if anyone here has a direct line to him I will wait patiently for Mark's response. If I get one that is...

Best,
                Mark

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mrogowski
                  Well, I just confirmed that John has disabled his email link.
                  That's SOP for him given how many people want handholding when building one of his designs

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mrogowski
                    • Jul 2006

I can understand that. That's the price you pay for being a speaker star...

Mark

Comment

• mrogowski
                      • Jul 2006

Well, no response from Mark on my request. Either my email to him somehow got filtered out or he is too busy to take on another product.

I do appreciate you looking at the Mach 5 product and considering it for your project(s) though.

Best regards,
                      Mark

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                        • Jan 2006

That information would have been icing on the cake.

At that price its definately worth trying out. Thanks for the efforts all the same. Im sure sooner or later someone is going to get curious enough to test them.

Comment

• mrogowski
                          • Jul 2006

FWIW, I'm working on a small line array with them and a single ribbon. Looks promising thus far. I'll be posting full curves on my site when I'm done with them.

Best,
                          Mark

Comment

• knifeinthesink
                            • Jan 2006

That should generate some interest. I look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"