X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • requiem
    • Dec 2005

My attempt to a Seas L18-27TDFC MTM

Okay, I’m trying to get the combined frequency response for a couple of seas L18 drivers in a 60L vented box tuned to 34 Hz.

I traced Zaph's infinite baffle FR and Impedance measurements and simulated the infinite baffle with unibox (using a 1000L sealed box). Then simulated the FR for my box (with two L18 drivers mounted in parallel). And finally simulated the baffle diffraction for each one of the L18s.

Now I’m not sure how should I combine all the data because of the 2 drivers I want to simulate.

Would it be correct to subtract the infinite baffle response with a single driver from zaph's measurements, and add my box's response with 2 drivers?
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Why do you want to combine the two? Usually I do <200Hz measurements to make sure my bass alignment is right and >200Hz for xo work, assuming you are doing a 2-way.

Comment

• requiem
      • Dec 2005

Well because the predicted box response is quite different if there's 1 driver or two (see attachments).

My goal is to achieve the minimal phase model using FRD tools, and I’m following this guide.
      Should I not combine the box SPL (and combine diffraction only) for the crossover design process?

thank you

Click image for larger version  Name:	VBResponseSeasL18X2.gif Views:	340 Size:	18.8 KB ID:	846185

Click image for larger version  Name:	VBResponseSeasL18X1.gif Views:	310 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	846186
      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:43 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

My bad - I thought you had measurement equipment. I don't know how to use the FRD tools.

When I design a two-way, I simply measure the actual in-cabinet response of all the drivers >200Hz with good resolution. Those measurements are for the xo work, I just make sure not to include more than 4 or 5 dB baffle step comp by calculating baffle step center frequency and looking at the xo filter transfer function. To get the bass right I measure the impedance and then close mic it. Then I just trust the two match up good, because they always do in a 2-way with decent drivers.

But as far as the FRD way goes, I dunno.

Comment

• requiem
          • Dec 2005

has anyone used FRD tools to design a MTM speaker from measured data? is it even possible?

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by requiem
            has anyone used FRD tools to design a MTM speaker from measured data? is it even possible?
            Yes.

BDS, FRC, are the keys.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cobbpa
              • Apr 2005

I did not know it was possible to design networks without measuring equipment. Granted, it isn't optimal...but sounds fun

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

The trick is normalizing your data.

Particularly when you have different sources, perhaps different technique (test baffle, IEC, infinite baffle) - that needs to be normalized (usually to infinite), then baffle diffraction/baffle step summed in, normalized, minimum phase extracted, modeled with appropriate z-axis offset included...

C

Comment

• cobbpa
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd

Particularly when you have different sources, perhaps different technique (test baffle, IEC, infinite baffle) - that needs to be normalized (usually to infinite), then baffle diffraction/baffle step summed in, normalized, minimum phase extracted, modeled with appropriate z-axis offset included...

C
                  I realize testing on baffle & in place obviously is more accurate because of driver variations (tolerances) and in-room placement, but how close can a non-testing theory get?
                  Jed designed my towers from raw data, but neither of us expected anything great. They sound alright, but I'm curious as to how close to optimal one can get without testing equipment.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

My MTM's were designed this way. I found nothing to change when I subsequently measured them. And they won the budget class at the Chicago DIY event last year.

YMMV.

My 3-way attempts in this way failed miserably.

C

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cobbpa
                      I did not know it was possible to design networks without measuring equipment. Granted, it isn't optimal...but sounds fun
                      Cobbpa, that's how I designed your speaker/crossover. I normalized the data like cjd commented in his post. I wouldn't be suprised if your speaker's predicted response is VERY close to real world measurements. The FRD tools are very powerful and suprisingly accurate. And yes it isn't hard to simulate an MTM given these tools once you get to know how to use them. I'd start with manufacturer data first though because it is easy to subtract out the IB response and add in the baffle target response. Especially SEAS since they tend to be more precise with their graphs than some other folks.

Jed

Comment

• requiem
                        • Dec 2005

C
                        I've tried to simulate a couple of existing designs using FRD tools and manufacturers data. I found a pretty good correlation with MT speakers, like zaph's speaker #17 for instance.
                        With MTM's it's a different story. For example, I tried to simulate the Modula MTM (RS180 - 27TDFC) using PartsExpress' data and the predicted response is far from actual measurements...

This is what I’m doing for the woofers section in FRC:

Driver Base: Parts express - RS180 Exported CLIO Frequency Response

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS180.png
Views:	36
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	944636

Box Measure: Unibox simulated Infinite Baffle (1000 Liters Sealed enclosure) with Parts Express' measured Thiel and Small values. FOR a single RS180 driver.

Box target: Unibox simulated 1 ft^3 box tuned to 34 Hz, with two RS180 drivers in parallel.

(Both responses are calculated at 1 Watt nominal power)

Baffle measure: Baffle diffraction Simulation for an IEC baffle with one 7'' driver (I asked parts express the measurement conditions). Axis distance is 1 meter (39'').

Name:	IEC%20baffle.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	944635

Baffle target: Baffle diffraction simulation for the Modula baffle as specified in the original design. Axis distance: 1 meter (39''). Diffraction for both woofers is the same as they are placed symmetrically on the baffle so I just used the WMTMW arrangement type and exported Axis sum for drivers 3&4 (mid bass drivers).

Name:	ModulaIVMTMFP.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	944634

Room LT/EQ: off

All the data is normalized as suggested in the FRC manual:

driver base: extend top slope - select low slope -12dB
                        box measure: extend top slope - extend low slope
                        box target: extend top slope - extend low slope
                        baffle measure: Extend top value - baffle gain to zero
                        baffle target: Extend top value - baffle gain to zero

The Response is combined and Minimum Phase model extracted

the tweeter response is calculated in the same way except that the box measure/target are turned off.

The combined response is then loaded in LspCAD with the designed crossover... and what do i get? 8O 8O 8O (See attachment)

The xover components are slightly different, as adjusted by lspCAD. But this is only for testing/learning FRD tools usage and the transfer function is quite similar.

What am I doing wrong?
                        anyne has RS180 data other than PE's or Jon's measured data?

thanks

Name:	SimulatedModulaMTM.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	846212
                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:48 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

When you import the summed RS180 (data reflects 2 in parallel) woofers into LSPCAD you only need 1 woofer represented in the project tree. That's one error I'm seeing. Make sure you adjust the Z axis value for the woofers as well. I think Jon mentioned this value should be set at 40mm if I recall correctly. If you want to have 2 woofers in the project tree you have to have data collected for each woofer, not combined like you simulated originally. That's why you're seeing all those peaks and plateaus.

Jed

Comment

• requiem
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                            When you import the summed RS180 (data reflects 2 in parallel) woofers into LSPCAD you only need 1 woofer represented in the project tree. That's one error I'm seeing. Make sure you adjust the Z axis value for the woofers as well. I think Jon mentioned this value should be set at 40mm if I recall correctly. If you want to have 2 woofers in the project tree you have to have data collected for each woofer, not combined like you simulated originally. That's why you're seeing all those peaks and plateaus.

Jed
                            Thanks Jed. I didn't think of that. I will use a single driver representing the paralleled two... and the impedance should be then divided by two manually, right?
                            the Z axis value is the distance between the cone center and the front of the baffle?
                            finally... is it possible to collect SPL data for each woofer? Adding each driver's SPL will produce different results than simulating both at once.
                            Last edited by requiem; 10 September 2006, 20:31 Sunday.

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Thanks Jed. I didn't think of that. I will use a single driver representing the paralleled two... and the impedance should be then divided by two manually, right?
                              Yes, if you are representing 2 woofers in parallel.
                              the Z axis value is the distance between the cone center and the front of the baffle?
                              Yes
                              finally... is it possible to collect SPL data for each woofer? Adding each driver's SPL will produce different results than simulating both at once.
                              I think so. Calculate FR for each woofer with BD effects and phase built into the FRD and ZMA files. Then, sum the 2 in LSPCAD by placing both the upper and lower woofer in the project tree and see what you get. I've been using speakerworkshop so maybe someone with LSPCAD can speak from experience on this one.

Comment

• requiem
                                • Dec 2005

Thanks for all the help so far, I've been doing some more testing with existing designs and FRD tools and I think the results I’m getting are close enough to begin messing with my own design.

here you can get the seas measurements I’ve been using (thanks Davey, Dennis H).

So here are some results.
                                Zaph's speaker 17

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zaph17.webp Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	944642

The gray line (reference) is the traced Zaph's measured response. The tweeters ultrasonic ringing in the >20KHZ region doesn't show because the used base measurements end at 20KHZ and I used the "extend top slope" in FRC normalization.

This is how it would look using seas measurements with Zaph's X-over and NO FRD tools

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zaph17_B4_FRD.webp Views:	0 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	944643
                                Quite different huh?

for an MTM example, I simulated the seas odin design and this is what I got adding separate drivers’ response as Jed suggested:

Click image for larger version  Name:	odinFinal.webp Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	944644

and the predicted response using combined woofers response in unibox/BDS is quite similar indeed

Click image for larger version  Name:	odinFinalCombined.webp Views:	0 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	944645

the green line (reference) is the original measured response, I’m particularly curious about where the dip at the xover point comes from. The transfer function looks very attenuated for the woofer in that frequency range however.

Click image for larger version  Name:	odinxfer.webp Views:	0 Size:	27.1 KB ID:	944646

As for the parts express drivers goes I gave up until I get better info about the measurement conditions, when I asked parts express all they said is...

"I am pretty sure those were tested on a standard baffle that is 1 meter by 1 meter which is mounted flush directly to a wall"

I thought they mean an IEC baffle but now I just don't know. The published measurements don't look like a typical infinite baffle response either...

Well what do you think. Are these results close enough?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 14:03 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                  • Apr 2006

Looks good to me, but that's a LOT of drop in the woofer filter tansfer function from 100Hz-1kHz. More than 6dB baffle step comp and enough series L in the woofer filter to get some ringing at 100Hz (I'm guessing the woofer is ported and has an impedance peak there?).

Comment

• requiem
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                                    Looks good to me, but that's a LOT of drop in the woofer filter tansfer function from 100Hz-1kHz. More than 6dB baffle step comp and enough series L in the woofer filter to get some ringing at 100Hz (I'm guessing the woofer is ported and has an impedance peak there?).
                                    If you take a look at the manufacturer's response curves here 6dB seems about right (on axis). This xover was designed by Joseph D'Appolito's and i'm just trying to simulate the measured response using FRD tools, don't know any further details.

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

the green line (reference) is the original measured response, I’m particularly curious about where the dip at the xover point comes from. The transfer function looks very attenuated for the woofer in that frequency range however.
                                      Try changing the Z offset value and see how it affects the dip at X over point.

Jed

Comment

• requiem
                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                                        Try changing the Z offset value and see how it affects the dip at X over point.

Jed
                                        I did, as a matter of fact i changed it from -90 to 90mm in 10 mm intervals to see what happens and that's the best response I got, the final setting is at 30mm (in LSPCAD positive values mean away from the listener).

does anyone know any other well documented all-seas MTM design I can try to simulate?

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"