X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

How much polyfil?

I was searching the board trying to find the thread with the link that says how much polyfil to use per cu ft. Does anyone know of the link, or know about how much to put in per cu ft?
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Start with 1 lb/ft^3. Adding more will tighten up the bass slightly but adding too much more will kill it some.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• RandyMidd
      • Feb 2006

It depends how big your speakers are and how big (or small) you want to have the woofer believe it is.

I asked the same question not long ago...Thomas gave me this link. .
      ...Randy

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

There is no 'right amount'. There are guidelines that will get you close. The only way to get 'the right amount' is to measure the impedance of the sub with various amounts of stuffing and 1) stop when you get to the system Q you desire or 2) stop when you maximize the apparent box volume, whichever you prefer. You can do this with a sine wave generator like NCH tone and a multimeter, or more advanced tools like the PE woofer tester 2 or the most advanced tools like Praxis/Clio/Etc/.

But 1-1.5pcf is a good place to start.

Comment

• David G
          • Jan 2005

I just fill it loosely with polyfill, taking care not to compress it too much.

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

Another question: How do you keep polyfil from getting into the motor structure/VC gap? With all the venting they use nowadays I'm tempted just to wrap the motor in some old pantyhose.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Amphiprion
              I'm tempted just to wrap the motor in some old pantyhose.
              Your personal life aside..... :B

I'd use nylon mesh window screen material.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Netweaver
                • Jul 2006

Thanks for this thread and HTGuide. I am building a 15inch TC3000 in a 3 Cubic ft sealed box and want to know how much polyfill needed. I thought of creating a thread and here is the thread already.

Based on the recommendation in the link in this thread, I think a 4.5 pound polyfill from wallmart is good enough.

Please comment.

Thx.

- PK

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

To do this method one needs..... 1) a power amp, or receiver 2) a DMM (preferably a TrueRMS unit) 3) a method of generating low frequency sine waves (tone generators are easiest) 4) a approx 100watt, 20 ohm power resistor (there's latitude with this value, so just get close). To test the tuning frequency of a ported

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"