X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Hello all!

New to the forum here. i'm getting back into audio and the DIY community is pretty impressive now!

This winter I'll be building various little projects to learn the ropes so be prepared for some dumb questions :W

My eventual goal is to beat, in every way, the Onix Rocket 760s I have. I just bought the setup a couple months ago and really like them. I finally started sitting down and listening to music again!

My first little project before building and actual speaker involves the 760s. Assuming the crossover is competently designed, I've read that a SS 9800 should drop right in. So bought a couple. From a SQ standpoint what can I expect? I like the XT25 as far as where it is on the bright/laidback scale, however I'm looking for a little more clarity and smoothness. Will the 9800s deliver?

Also can anyone steer me to some primers on designing loudspeakers and crossovers, and using various tools to measure speaker response?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by augerpro; 27 August 2006, 18:22 Sunday.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by augerpro
    New to the forum here. i'm getting back into audio and the DIY community is pretty impressive now!

This winter I'll be building various little projects to learn the ropes so be prepared for some dumb questions :W

My eventual goal is to beat, in every way, the Onix Rocket 760s I have. I just bought the setup a couple months ago and really like them. I finally started sitting down and listening to music again!

My first little project before building and actual speaker involves the 760s. Assuming the crossover is competently designed, I've read that a SS 9800 should drop right in. So bought a couple. From a SQ standpoint what can I expect? I like the XT25 as far were it is on the bright/laidback scale, however I'm looking for a little more clarity and smoothness. Will the 9800s deliver?

Also can anyone steer me to some primers on designing loudspeakers and crossovers, and using various tools to measure speaker response?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HTGuide!

I built some MTM's using XT25's that were documented here:
    People have been interested in building a ported (fullrange) version of the MTM that Tibor built a couple of years ago. For those that don't remember, Tibor's sealed design speaker, here's a pic. To date the 'best' ported version using the Hi-Vi drivers is Jon's M8a-T&A (filedata/fetch?id=929560&d=1677033199)

Months ago I temporarily installed SS9800's in these speakers. I'd use your exact words to describe the change - increased clarity and smoothness. I think you'll like the change :T

I don't have any specific links for speaker design information - there's a wealth of info on the net that's easily found. I'd recommend you start with a book or two just because the information in the good ones is consistently and progressively laid out - I like and have "Speaker Building 201".
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:55 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Thanks for the info Paul. I was hoping the 9800 sounded better, so that's good to hear. On a brightness/laidback scale did you find the 9800 much brighter than the XT25? I like the XT25 as far as that goes, though if the 9800 is little brighter i wouldn't mind, as long as it's not tinny or sizzly.
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"