X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Looking for a frequency chart

Hey guys,

I am looking for a frequency chart I know I've seen before but can't find; it graphs the frequency ranges commonly referred to by such terms as 'upper bass', 'lower midrange', 'upper midrange', etc on a 20-20kHz log plot. If anyone knows the graph I'm talking about, I would mucho appreciado any help in finding it.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I couldn't find one already made...so I built one

I'm not sure that the transition frequencies between "zones" are set in stone, but I did find one breakdown on an EQ site.

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 15:53 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    Danish

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

Linking to an image from http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Image not available
      Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:24 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link
      -Josh

Comment

• Carl V
        • Apr 2005

Could someone post a link to one with the Freq. Range of Instruments.

I've seen these before but I can't locate one...google didn't help much.

I know TAS had a nice one...as did many other authors / sources.

Thanks.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I've got one in Everest's book... I also ran across one online earlier today. I'll look for it later.
          Danish

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voice-Instrument%20Frequency%20Chart.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	759.0 KB
ID:	944387

It's a little big.
            Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 15:54 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Amphiprion
              Link doesn't work for me...... Maybe it's my interents....
              -Joe

Comment

• Carl V
                • Apr 2005

Forbidden
                You don't have permission to access /enter/images/Voice-Instrument Frequency Chart.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.makinmusic.net Port 80

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Here ya go....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

I couldn't get at it directly but I could get a directory listing of http://www.makinmusic.net/enter/images/ and then click the Voice-Instrument file.

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jdybnis
                      Linking to an image from http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Image not available

This is *the* "chart" I have in mind when dealing with (explaining to) fellow engineers/musicians/audiophiles. I think it should be acclaimed as *law* when dealing with audio-re(cording/production). IMHO, this categorisation (good word ?) into freq. bands translates well into what actually is heard or can be heard.
                      Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:24 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• gbegland
                        • Apr 2005

Here is a smaller one on Bob Katz web site

Might as well check out his "Articles" section and CD honor roll while you're there also. Lots of good reading. His system(and room) is one of the tops that I've heard.

Greg

Comment

• JRT
                          • Apr 2005

Just one comment regarding charts showing frequency ranges of musical instruments. They usually are just showing the range of musical notes, fundamentals, not the rest of the spectra. That might be misleading if you are interested in the frequency range of the what you are actually hearing from a particular instrument.

Take a look at this graphic showing spectra taken from a recording of a trumpet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fig1a.gif
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	944389

I don't know anything more about the data underlying that graphic than what is already described in the brief associated paper at the following link.
                          At least one member of each instrument family (strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion) produces energy to 40 kHz or above, and the spectra of some instruments reach the measurement limit of 102.4 kHz. Survey includes trumpet, French horn, violin, oboe, crash cymbals, sibilant speech, claves, a drum rimshot, triangle, jangling keys, and piano. Includes short description of others' work on perception of air- and bone-conducted ultrasound; and points out that even if ultrasound be taken as having no effect at all on perception of live sound, yet its presence may still pose a problem to the audio equipment designer and recording engineer.
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:08 Friday. Reason: Update image location and url

Comment

• Carl V
                            • Apr 2005

I came across this I hope it is of some use to everyone

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"