X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DiyDude1
    • Aug 2006

I need an honest opinion

I've lurked here for awhile and then found out about the MAD and PE boards.

I've built a small two way in the past using some el cheapo drivers dug out of the trashcan. Needless to say it didn't sound to good. I'm looking for stereo speakers that are full range and there is a 3.5 way that looks like it might meet my needs. The problem I have is: I haven't been around long enough to know who makes good speakers and who tries to make you think they make good speakers. If it helps, I listen to soft rock, jazz, and symphony and sometimes anywhere in between the above extremes. The budget is around $700. I saw a TMWW here but I got tired of reading that thread. I wasn't anywhere near done and I had been reading a good while. Any input on this builder appreciated.

David
    Last edited by ThomasW; 23 August 2006, 10:31 Wednesday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The level of sophistication and expertise found in the projects listed in our Missions Accomplished section is difficult to match. In addition those designs all have multiple builders so they're a proven commodity.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DiyDude1
      • Aug 2006

I keep hearing about this cauer elliptic filter that you guys use. I know it causes very steep slopes but I don't know why or how. Any good threads that go over this for a noob trying to get into the hobby? I'm sorta odd in some ways. I like to understand what I'm doing before I do it. I'm sure most are like that too. Is there a basic circuit that you start out with and then work on it from there? Confused and bewildered but willing to read and grasp as much knowledge as I can.

David

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Starting off your education by reading about CE filters is like learning to fly starting with the Joint Strike Fighter, probably not the best or easiest thing to do.

But since you ask, start by reading the "Crossover Design Section" of this paper.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Spanky Ham
          • Jul 2006

I think you may be talking about the Dayton TMWW speakers. If so, then I can tell you that they are excellent speakers and better than my PSB Stratus Golds. I started a thread about Chasw98's Daytons compared to my PSBs.

I know where you are coming from on the length of the thread. No offense to the thread starter, but his original post needs to be more informative about these speakers.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Spanky Ham
            I know where you are coming from on the length of the thread. No offense to the thread starter, but his original post needs to be more informative about these speakers.
            First this thread was started a year ago. It represents a collaboration between several designers that ended up being a stream of consciousness creative process. No one knew where or how it was going to progress or end. The first post has been updated with pertinent information as time has permitted.

People should understand no one is paid for all the time and effort that goes not only into the designs themselves but trying to keep the thread information up to date.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mmoeller
              • May 2006

Thomas, do you have available the Figures that go along with that paper. I found it an excellent read. Pic will help me, I'm kinda slooooowwww........

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The article was published in the Sept/Oct/Nov 2003 issues of AudioXpress; so back issues of the whole thing are obviously available. I this point I don't have any of the images up loaded to a host.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mmoeller
                  • May 2006

Thanks I'll take a look for back issues. Would you be object to emailing them?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Let me see if I can find the CD that contains the data, and I'll get back to you...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mmoeller
                      • May 2006

Thanks.

Comment

• ChaoticKinesis
                        • Aug 2006

Actually the images are right there in the index on that site: http://pwp.t-3.cc/ttriff/M8aArticle/

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Those are the images that relate to the speaker design, they're not all the images in the article.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"