X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Noob getting started stuff

Hi guys have a few questions for you. Going to order my parts from partsexpress for DMs version of WMTW project. I have the BOM but I know there are incidentals, like terminals, wires and dampening stuff. Could you please tell me what I need for this project? And what is best for mounting the crossover on?
    Also need recommendation on soldering iron or gun. Thanks. :W
  • dynamowhum
    • Aug 2006

Another question for all you guys is how are you mounting this terror if you have front projection with an acoustically transparent screen?

Comment

• dynamowhum
      • Aug 2006

help please

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

No one keeps price list for incidentals since those are usually things people choose on their own based on cost, looks, etc.

Most put their center channels on a stand. It could of course be hung from the ceiling with chains or cables.

Most mount their crossovers in Masonite. I'm pretty sure there are pics of the ones Chas98 built, his are on PCB material.

Try a search for threads where someone has built the MTWW version, there are more of those than the WMTW.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Frank2808
          • Jun 2006

Hey there.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm almost done with my first DIY (NatP's).

Some things you'll need:
          Router roundover bit
          Router flush trim bit
          laminate or paint (finish materials)
          sand paper
          Some sort of circle jig (DIY or purchased)
          Wood Glue
          Clamps
          Terminals
          solder
          hook up wire (Radio Shack)
          hot gluegun
          drywall screws (to mount the drivers)
          dampening material

For the XO people use aything from cardboard to 1/4" ply wood. Anything works really...

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

If you have an acoustically transparent screen, consider building three tower versions.

Place the speaker about a foot behind the screen itself.

For mounting crossovers, thin plywood or hardboard (masonite) is ideal.

I would get cap head screws for mounting drivers, NOT drywall screws. PE has some nice screws for this, actually.

Hook up wire, go for a spool of Sound King 12ga (or 14ga) from PE - use it for the works including amp to speaker runs (unless you need in-wall or something else).

I never use a hot glue gun I zip-tie components to crossover boards.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Tommythecat
              • Nov 2005

You zip-tie every resistor and cap? I use a combo of hot glue for R's and C's while zip-tying the inductors.

And I find pan-head screws work very well to secure drivers.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                • Aug 2006

Thanks guys thats the stuff I was looking for. Thomas I guess I worded that wrong wasn't looking for prices. Just wanted to get everything I needed with one order. I like Chas98s board layout.
                I have quite a bit of woodworking tools so what I need is just the stuff that actually goes into the box. Oh yeah besides the soldering iron. Could I get a recommendation for that please?
                Turns out PE doesn't have part 027-447 which is 100uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor in stock.
                Also what is recommended for sound deadening for the WMTW. Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

• Frank2808
                  • Jun 2006

Just curious, what's wrong with drywall screws for mounting drivers? I got some black ones from the hardware store and they look and hold fine...

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I recently purchased a soldering station based on this thread (https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12343&highlight=soldering+station) to solder the wires to binding posts on my sub and for my upcoming speaker projects. I think I have come to the conclusion that I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to

Was wondering what kind of solder you guys use? I was thinking about the dayton silver solder. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=370-038&scqty=2 And I've been looking for a decent but cheap soldering station and was pointed to this. http://www.web-tronics.com/cispdeesdsas.html

You can use any combination of caps that = 100mfd
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 10:42 Sunday. Reason: Update urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dynamowhum
                      • Aug 2006

Thomas you shine thanks much. As a child my dad was a ham radio operator back then it as akin to alchemy. Those guys made alot of their own equipment. Now I know that was when dirt still had the new smell, but I was soldering by age 9. But it has probably been 20 years since I have picked up an iron or gun. I also used to sweat a lot of copper for airlines using silver solder. I bet no one on this board has used more of that stuff. You should see how much it takes to sweat a 6" piece of copper pipe.
                      I think with a little practice I'll be up to speed soldering. I will try out that Caradas solder for sure. Gotta love this forum.
                      Thomas thanks for the tip on the caps as well. All you folks have a good day.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                        • Aug 2006

Just ordered my WMTW stuff from partsexpress. Hopefully I will see it by Tuesday. Woodchips flying and soldering a melting.
                        And a ton of questions along the way. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"