X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    • Oct 2005

Please Help the moron

Hi all sorry for the ignorant post, but I'm having issues with something small on the Nat/Modula design.

I went ahead and bought the pe enclosures for the project. My trouble is getting the correct measurements for the driver cutouts. Not the actual cutouts themselves, but where the pilot holes go to use a jig and router.

My first set of baffles I measured from the back (taking into account the lip) and then drilled the holes. I then routed the circles and not one lined up, and the tweeter was not centered between the drivers.

Basically my question is how do you get precise measements on the baffles of the pe enclosures with the roundover already there and the inside plate not being totally square on the baffle (at least mine weren't)? I'm sure it's simple but I am so frustrated now I can't even figure out how to do it.

My second set of baffles will be here monday for me to ruin I mean cutout

Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks,

Derek
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

How far off were they? If it's just a little, try using a drill press instead of a hand drill.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Find the center of the baffle and mark the location for the tweeter. Then measure up/down the appropriate distance for the woofers.

If the rounded edge is the problem, flip the removable baffle over and measure from the backside

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Derek
        • Oct 2005

That's what I tried to do by using the backside for a straight edge, but the edge wasn't totally square so that's why everything got out of whack.

I'll try finding the center first and go from there on v2

Thanks,
        Derek

Comment

• Marzen
          • Jul 2005

I held my PE baffle painted side up on my tablesaw against the rip fence. Then used a square against the fence. You could accomplish the same with a square & the backsplash on the kitchen counter. This will use the outside edge & not the inside relief for a better reference. Rotate the baffle from side to end for vertical & horizontal measuring. I mark on masking tape in case I measure twice & discover I goofed. As long as you have a scrap piece check your driver fit on drop in & see if it's too snug. If you're still worried after measuring you can mark the radius point of the drivers and see if the cuts will overlap.
          -Ward
          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Derek
            • Oct 2005

excellent idea thanks, i'll use the fence on my table saw and see how it goes.

thanks,
            Derek

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"