X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • husserm
    • Aug 2006

First Timer with Lots-O-Questions

I am a first time poster on this or any forum. I have been turned on to this site by my buddy and have been reading it for a while...you guys know your sh...stuff .

But any way I used to be a car audio installer, and have recently purchased a house and am getting ready to build an entertainment center in place of an ugly fake fire place. I need advice on how to kill the magnetic field of my speakers that are screwing with my TV. I have heard of this stuff called magnetshield http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html
    and I am not sure if it will work. What would ya'll do?

I'm sorry but I am not at home so I don't have the model of the equipment or pictures of the project area. I will post them later. Thanks

husserm
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

MuMetal does work but boy it's really $pendy. It has extremely sharp edges when cut (hint think razorblade).

I've lined speaker cabinets with thick (16 gauge) sheet metal and that does the job.

Sometimes one can simply put a piece of plate steel between the TV and the speaker.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

What is the relative permaeability of MuMetal? I didn't think it got a whole lot better than good 'ol steel.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Good lord, I guess it does get a lot better than steel!

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Amphiprion
            Good lord, I guess it does get a lot better than steel!
            Yep pretty amazing stuff with an equally amazing price... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Amphiprion
              • Apr 2006

No kidding. But I agree with Thomas, steel plate should work great for this application. Steel is about 3000-5000 times more permeable than air IIRC, so it should soak up almost all the stray flux.

Comment

• husserm
                • Aug 2006

Time for an experiment

Thanks guys. I'm curious so I'm going to invest in a small amount of "Magnetshied" and cunduct a little experiment.

The speakers that I'm trying to shield are Focal kevlar dual voice coil car speakers (I've just got them laying around).

Is there a way to change the resistance of a total of 4ohms to 8 omhs in the x-over? or will I have to come up with some creative wiring (like adding another mid to the mix)? :twisted:

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by husserm
                  Thanks guys. I'm curious so I'm going to invest in a small amount of "Magnetshied" and cunduct a little experiment.
                  You might consider shopping around for different sources of MuMetal. That's what the Magnetshield people are selling, but they're pretending it's something exclusive to them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• husserm
                    • Aug 2006

Ooooooh! Thanks I appreciate the heads up, I will be searching around. :B

Comment

• mmoeller
                      • May 2006

I've had a number of sheilding discussions before. Conductive metals will all offer some sheilding. The real trick is at what frequency. Low frequency magnetic fields will be attenuated less than high frequencies. I have attached a nice explanation of sheilding from Analog Devices. It shows that below 100hz there is very little that can be done, but by 1kHz even a very thin layer of steel will help tremendously. The only thing that will really help the low frequencies is distance.

The explanation of what is going on with magnetic sheilding get a little technical. I'm not even sure I fully understand, but that's for another day.

Comment

• husserm
                        • Aug 2006

Well I have not ordered my experiment material yet, but I did e-mail the head engineer at MuMetal. This guy suprised me by saying:

"Our materials would work but they may be overkill. Get a piece of galvanized steel from your local hardware store and place it between the speaker and the TV. My bet is that it will work."

The fact that he did not push his companies product and gave an honest answer was the part that suprised me. 8O

But just for the fun of it I am going to get some of the material and find out what happens and post the results for all to see. :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Sheet metal does work. Understand that overtime it to will become magnetized. That's not a major problem because hitting it will a hammer will decrease the amount of stored up magnetism.

But just for the fun of it I am going to get some of the material and find out what happens and post the results for all to see.
                          One of the online suppliers has a sample kit that's reasonably priced. Sorry but I don't remember which supplier offers it since I researched this years ago...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• mmoeller
                            • May 2006

How much of this material would you need to test Thomas? I might be able to dig some up at work. We have an sheilded anecohic room for these type of measurements just at higher speeds. The spectrum analysers and frequency generators won't generally dip to the audio frequencies.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Probably just enough to wrap around the magnets

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• husserm
                                • Aug 2006

I have already ordered my test quantity and it was pretty cheap but thanks for the offer. I may even have enough to do all the speakers for a true test.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"