X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tcpip
    • Oct 2005

[INDIA] The Asawari

I've just finished designing my first pair of speakers which needed a real crossover. I had to learn how to take T/S parameter measurements, how to take SPL and impedance measurements, and how to design a crossover. I've used very inexpensive equipment (a Creative USB sound card with my laptop, a $2 Panasonic mic capsule, and Speaker Workshop) and I've got excellent results.

The Asawari follows a very traditional, commonly found design approach. It's a 2-way floorstander with two 6.5" midbass drivers and a dome tweeter in an MTM configuration, with a passive crossover at about 2.8KHz. Nothing radical here for speaker design veterans.

I've written it up here. It's a bit long as a write-up, but I thought some beginners like me may find some of the details interesting. I have no interest in documenting a finished design like a brief and focused project report; I prefer to write a journal of the path I followed and the crazy meandering flow that probably all DIY projects take.

I've put "[INDIA]" in the title because the drivers I've used are Indian; they are probably not going to be available to anyone who can't source them from Bombay. In fact, all the components I've used are made in India.

I have learned a lot from the designers and the beginners on this forum. Thanks a lot. The Asawari wouldn't have happened without you guys.
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

a Creative USB sound card with my laptop, a $2 Panasonic mic capsule, and Speaker Workshop
    While it may not have the cachet of the more expensive options, that's about the best budget measurement system I can think of. My only concern would be if you had correction values for the panasonic capsule, some models have a few dB variation at high frequencies (a little above 5k, a few dB above 10k on some models).

Still, I think even Praxis comes with a panasonic based microphone, and it's $1k

All in all a respectable measurement system. I'll take a look-see at your design when I have the time.

Comment

• tcpip
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
      While it may not have the cachet of the more expensive options, that's about the best budget measurement system I can think of. My only concern would be if you had correction values for the panasonic capsule, some models have a few dB variation at high frequencies (a little above 5k, a few dB above 10k on some models).
      Actually, I don't have any correction values. I just decided to wing it as it is. In any case, the SPL curves show ups and downs of +/-2 or 3dB, peak-to-peak, so I guessed that the small non-linearities of the mic would be lost in them. Moreover, whatever be the measured shape of the SPL curves, I'll still have to listen and tune anyway, so I thought the mic inaccuracies were acceptable.

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

Wow, that was quite the comprehensive write up. You are my polar opposite LOL. I'm far,far too lazy to do anything like that site. Good job :T
        FYI, Peerless India makes some very nice drivers. The Dayton RS52 and NPDangs (diymobileaudio) mids & tweeters to name a few. I've had a pair of Illusion Audio ND6's for several years now and have never felt the need to replace them. When the old car goes, those aren't going with it .

cheers,

AJ
        Manufacturer

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

I have correction files around here for an old IMP/LAUD microphone, I'll post it. I can't remember exactly how much correction it needed or what capsule it used though.

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by AJINFLA
            Wow, that was quite the comprehensive write up. You are my polar opposite LOL. I'm far,far too lazy to do anything like that site. Good job :T
            FYI, Peerless India makes some very nice drivers. The Dayton RS52 and NPDangs (diymobileaudio) mids & tweeters to name a few. I've had a pair of Illusion Audio ND6's for several years now and have never felt the need to replace them. When the old car goes, those aren't going with it .

cheers,

AJ
            Cool, I didn't know that (about the RS52). Is anyone working on a center channel using it and the rest of the RS lineup (at least the woofers)?

Comment

• tcpip
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
              Wow, that was quite the comprehensive write up. You are my polar opposite LOL. I'm far,far too lazy to do anything like that site.
              Thanks. I'm not implying that being your polar opposite is a compliment, but you know what I mean. :B

FYI, Peerless India makes some very nice drivers. The Dayton RS52 and NPDangs (diymobileaudio) mids & tweeters to name a few.
              You mean that 52mm dome midrange from Dayton is actually made by Peerless India???? :E I'd never have guessed.

I'm told that the GR-Research M130 is also a modified version of a Peerless India driver, and in fact the original Peerless India driver on which the M130 is based is available from the wholesaler in Bombay. Comparing T/S parameters, the biggest difference I saw is that the M130 has an Fs of 40 while the Peerless India driver is almost at 80.

How did you know the RS52 is from Peerless India?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

It looks real similar to a driver on their website, just with a different color dome and phase shield.

Comment

• tcpip
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                  It looks real similar to a driver on their website, just with a different color dome and phase shield.
                  I checked. You're right. Quite amazing if this is true. Wish they'd release some surplus into the local market, for us to play with at "modest" prices.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"