thinking about buying the behringer SCR2496...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

thinking about buying the behringer SCR2496...

anyone have any poss/neg fedback on this ?
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

Peter,

It is a good box. How do you intend to use it?

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Victor
      Peter,

It is a good box. How do you intend to use it?
      as the dac for my cd player, and dvd player (stereo)

i skimped on my cd player (cambridge 540 v1) knowing i would us an external dac... this has the added benifit of resolving jitter too

digital coax in too, i am in heaven

never owned behringer products and am sceptical but everyone loves them on here

Comment

• Victor
        • Apr 2002

Peter,

I am not familiar with Cambridge 540 v1. Although it may be a budget CD player, still its analog section might be fine and the use of an external D/A box may give you negligible improvement.

Here are the issues to keep in mind if you decide to use Behringer box. It is a dedicated A/D converter with an integral Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter. That means that its primary purpose is to change the sampling rate on the fly. Its A/D section is fine and it even has a rather competent anti-aliasing filter, but you will not be using its A/D stage anyway.

You indicate that you want this box to function as a DAC. Well, it has only two Digital Inputs, - the AESBU and the optical SPDI/F. The AESBU input is designed to operate with professional equipment and as such it expects voltage levels that your CD player will not generate. Although I tested it and it also works with commercial gear, but it was not intended to work this way. The signal refection and consequent noise level might be an issue here, but I do not think you’ll hear it anyway. It is just bad engineering approach to use AESBU with commercial voltage levels.

Optical input will work fine, but you only have one of those and, as I understand, you want to use this box with both the CD player and your DVD player, - so this is a problem also.

I would not worry too much about jitter, because the jitter levels in a CD player are negligible since it is by definition a synchronous digital system.

Victor

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

ill give it a try and see

it has digital coax too btw

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"