X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChaoticKinesis
    • Aug 2006

Question about design software

I'm working on my first speaker design right now. Currently I'm using only freeware software, specifically Speaker Workshop for the crossover design. I was just wondering if the other more capable programs really offer you that much more if you're designing a straightforward network, given that SW does have an optimizer. Is the only difference that the expensive programs offer more features allowing you to do more complex things with them, or are they also going to be more accurate in their predictions?
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

The math behind these things is very well understood, I would think it rare that programs come up with any significant differences that weren't based on rounding or use of different approximation formulas (say longer or shorter Taylor series for small signal modelling (this is math stuff beyond the scope of this post)). Now maybe if someone made a mundane error (IT'S NOT A MUNDANE ERROR MICHAEL!!!! ) that could screw things up significantly, but I'd think stuff like that would get caught pretty quick.

LspCAD 6 Regular with it's 2 channel emulation capability is a good place to start for $200. You will only be able to simulate a 2-way in mono, but it will still speed up development a LOT over building test xo's. You can always upgrade to the stereo 5 way emulator of the Pro version later if you want to.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Well...

What's a more stable and robust OS: Windows or Linux?

You *do* get things when you buy like the simulation option. For the casual hobbiest, I know I can't personally justify the software investment - otherwise I'd have full versions of Maya (hardly ever use) and all sorts of stuff.

Just don't notice the car collecting dust in my garage. (it's a rare factory color, ok? :P )

The software" that the FRD Consortium makes available is unquestionably top rate stuff, and it's also free.

So, really, it's something you have to answer for yourself.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

I know I can't personally justify the software investment
        Hey man, I just put a quarter in a jar everytime I post - Praxis will be here in 2 weeks!

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

My quarter jar is for other things.

In part, I've learned to watch my past a bit more carefully. If I get "serious" and start plunking down cash on a hobby, it seems I find myself losing interest in it not long after. I think somehow that makes it seem no longer a hobby or something - not really sure.

So, I don't worry about it, enjoy it while it's here, use what I have, and leave it at that.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

I've come and gone from the speaker hobby, and agree that money should be spent judiciously for the average hobbyist. When it starts getting serious though, buy the right tool once, instead of each slightly better tool incrementally as you think you need them (unless there's an upgrade path like with LspCAD).

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"