X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Phantom Power

I want to use my Behringer mic with my computer. So I need to a phantom power box. MCM had the Art boxes onsale in the last flyer. Is there much differance between the Phantom 1,2, or 3 for my needs? They also had a generic. Any suggestions on which is best?

Generic: http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=35%2D1825

Phantom 1, $29.5 http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=555%2D2740

Phantom 3, $39 http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=555%2D2750

Micmix, $49. http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=555%2D2730
    Thanks,
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

I think you want the Phantom III. The Phantom I is for connecting line-level signals to a mic input. The Phantom III is a single +48V phantom supply. The other one looks like more features than you need.

Thanks for the link, btw. I was about to spend more on a different brand. These should work great for me.

ETA: Just ordered one. Now to go get me an ECM 8000.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Glad I could help.

Guess I'll order the III later tonight.
      - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
        • Apr 2006

Err, now that I look a little closer, I think I'd rather have the MicMix. The Phantom III is meant to connect to a mic input, not a line input. Damn. Time to call MCM...

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Well, there's always the ~$50 UB802 which we *know* works quite well (Parts Express has it at that price). It's also what I use. Also gives you another spot to control level, which can be both good and bad.

Phantom 3 is a phantom power supply. The Generic item is also a phantom power supply. Either should do the job. The last unit also has phantom power, and some other stuff - it's similar to the UB802 without quite so many features.

Phamtom1 *requires* a phantom power supply, it does not provide one.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Mark, sorry.

Chris,
            Yeah I've seen the UB802 recommended before. It looks like the price has come down from where it was last I looked. I'm still a little put off by its size (wife already thinks my room testing setup with the ext. soundcard and spl mounted on a tripod is a "bit much") and number of buttons (very odd for me, I guess I'm getting old). I'm starting to appreciate simple things that "just work" without me thinking.

Is there any downside to the Art boxes? I've swear I read somewhere that someone was really unhappy with one they bought to go from line->xlr because it introduced a lot of noise.
            - Ryan

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Consider the source when recalling the person having the problem with the ART line level shifter. I have one and it works fine.

If someone wants a really good, compact phantom power/mic pre, the Rolls MP3 is really nice. If you want an all-in-one (so you can forget about the soundcard) the M-Audio Mobile Pre is the way to go.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

MCM got my phone message and switched my order to the right part. No worries.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Consider the source when recalling the person having the problem with the ART line level shifter. I have one and it works fine.
                  Yep, I aways do. That is why I was asking here and hoping for opinions from you, Chris, and a few others I respect a lot.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                    • Apr 2006

I've always heard good things about ART. Supposedly their 1RU studio amps have a bit of a following over at the Asylum of all places.

Also, ECM 8000 is on its way too. Just need a mic stand and cable for it now, probably order that from GuitarCenter later this week. REALLY need to get a job to pay for all this now, especially with Praxis being ordered in the near future :E

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Two rubber bands held my ecm 8000 to my tripod real well. Bad Idea???
                      - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

For low frequency stuff that's fine. For high frequency stuff, purists would want a mic stand + boom to keep it away from anything that might reflect high frequencies.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

BTW, as something I've done before, taping it to the end of a pool cue is even superior

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Okay, I got the Art MicroMix a couple of weeks ago. I tore my room apart today, moving my TV and all my gear out so that I would be able to measure everywhere. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the mic to work right.

I was running REQW. I beleive that I had everything hooked up correctly. The cable to the mic was on the XLR Input of the MicroMix. I used a bunch of adaptors to get the computer into the Unbalanced Output (headphone picture).

If I yelled into the mic, I could see db indicator in REQW would go up from like 10dbto 20db. So, it seemed to be picking up something. I had the gain all the way up to the right.

So, what was I doing wrong? Any guesses?
                            - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

I think you want unbalanced input.... make sure it is the line in, not the mic in, on the soundcard.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

I was using the line-in. I just took the cable off the RS Meter and then added a bunch of adaptors and went into the MicroMic output.

I have no problem with the RS meter.
                                - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                  • Apr 2006

Mkay I am confused, I must not be understanding something. Could you explain to me the hookup with REQW and the microphone / computer / RS meter / etc?

Comment

• ---k---
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2005

Mark,

It could very well be that I'm confused. I'm at work, so I'm going from memory here:

Working backwards:

Mic XLR --> MicroMix XLR Input --> MicroMix Unblanced Output ---> Soundcard Line In.

Sub --> amp --> soundcard line out.

There are so many adaptors and such to go from mini-jack to rca to xlr and 1/4" that it could be I got somethign wrong somewhere. I'll have to re-check it.

Though, I spent all day monday running differnt measurements witht the RS meter, and I'm feeling a little beat down at the moment. My measurements varied so wildly. I put the subs in the spot that I normally sit. Took about ~30 measurements. Got great flat response from the corner. Spun the arrangement around, and had a real had to matching the response. Moving the mic just a couple of inches apprears to throw things into an ugly sprial. Ugh, but that is a differnt thread.
                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                      • Aug 2001

Good deal on the 802 here:

Our musical instruments store offers music equipment including guitars, drums & keyboards. Get 0% interest plans & free shipping at American Musical Supply.

Comment

• Xmax BR
                                        • Jun 2006

Dears,

Why not UB502 (USD 29,00) ?
                                        Our musical instruments store offers music equipment including guitars, drums & keyboards. Get 0% interest plans & free shipping at American Musical Supply.

Tks,

Renato

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Xmax BR
                                          Dears,

Why not UB502 (USD 29,00) ?

Tks,
                                          Renato
                                          It doesn't have phantom power for the mic

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Wow Jack, that is a pretty amazing price.

But, I have the MicroMix now, and need to get it working. I'm guessing that my problem an id10t error - either the cables & adaptors or how I have it hooked up - and it would probably be the same with either device. If I'm not mistaken, I would hook the Berhinger up the same way as the Micromix, it just has more buttons and in/outputs.
                                            - Ryan

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                              • May 2006

---k--- Did you ever get your ecm-8000 to work with your setup? I'm thinking of mimicing you on your setup (or going the m-audio route, I'm still undecided).

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

no, i haven't. It is more of a time thing than the equipment not working right. I just haven't got around to a lot of things recently.
                                                - Ryan

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                                  • Apr 2006

---k---,

Are there any stereo minijack to RCA or such converters in the signal path? I could see that in some instances swapping one of those to a mono converter might fix things, depending on how exactly things are hooked up.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                                                    ---k---,

Are there any stereo minijack to RCA or such converters in the signal path? I could see that in some instances swapping one of those to a mono converter might fix things, depending on how exactly things are hooked up.
                                                    Could be. Though, I'm pretty sure that everything was mono. I'm also pretty sure the computer was getting some signal from mic, because when I blew directly into it, the spl meter in REQW went up - it just it went up from like 10db to 20db. Not enough signal.
                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                                      • May 2006

You might need a line balancer like the art cleanbox if it's not getting enough signal. I'm having that same problem with my sub.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"