X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Ascendant Arsenal 15's?

Hi guys,
    I was wondering since these drivers have been around for a while if anyone here has used them in projects?
  • joetama
    • May 2006

I have never heard one, but I know some people who have had them... Everyone seems very So So about them. I have used some Ascendants before, and I honestly have never really been that inpressed with them....
    -Joe

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

Yeah...I sorta see why one would come to that conclusion. The Arsenal 15 doesn't model quite as well as I would have hoped...not that this is an end all solution to judging a subwoofer's performance. Thanks

Comment

• knifeinthesink
        • Jan 2006

I have no first hand experience with the company but google them and read afew postings regarding other peoples experience with them before you order.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Actually, I have heard that the owner is trying to sell the company off to a guy that knows nothing about running a business. Also the engineering staff is also going away too.... I think it would be a bad idea to go with Ascendant stuff.....
          -Joe

Comment

• mayala
            • Mar 2006

I have nothing but good experience with ascendant, i own a pair of assasins and a pair of their mids. I use them for car audio however.

Comment

• Exocer
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by joetama
              Actually, I have heard that the owner is trying to sell the company off to a guy that knows nothing about running a business. Also the engineering staff is also going away too.... I think it would be a bad idea to go with Ascendant stuff.....
              Thats sad news.

Comment

• noah katz
                • Dec 2005

"Actually, I have heard that the owner is trying to sell the company off to a guy that knows nothing about running a business. Also the engineering staff is also going away too"

Where did you hear that?

I thought Chad, the owner, was the engineering guy.

Thanks
                ------------------------------
                Noah

Comment

• ifeliciano
                  • Aug 2006

I use the Atlas 12 (old model) in my HT and have not had a problem with it. It sounds great, but have in mind im not a "big boom" type guy. I like my bass to be noticeable but subtle. Chad helped me with the enclosure design.

I second Noah on the engineering staff issue. Last time I talked to Chad they were only 2 guys in the company, and Chad does customer support, engineering, sales, etc..

Comment

• joetama
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by noah katz
                    "Actually, I have heard that the owner is trying to sell the company off to a guy that knows nothing about running a business. Also the engineering staff is also going away too"

Where did you hear that?

I thought Chad, the owner, was the engineering guy.

Thanks
                    I have my sources...... A bit of the grape vine effect, but all the same. I'm not sure what is going on with it now, but a few weeks ago the deal was going down....

Your right Chad is the "engineering guy".
                    -Joe

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Your right Chad is the "engineering guy".
                      Not really. He didn't know how to calculate the proper T/S params for a resistively damped DVC sub which was supposed to be his claim to fame.

Comment

• joetama
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                        Not really. He didn't know how to calculate the proper T/S params for a resistively damped DVC sub which was supposed to be his claim to fame.
                        I was being a bit cynical, that's why I put "engineering guy" in "".....
                        -Joe

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

wow did that company get unpopular fast... live and die by the sword

Comment

• joetama
                            • May 2006

It pretty much started with the whole poly mid mess about 6 months ago, then everyone lost interest in them. Especially with some of the new sub companies that are coming out...
                            -Joe

Comment

• peterS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by joetama
                              It pretty much started with the whole poly mid mess about 6 months ago, then everyone lost interest in them. Especially with some of the new sub companies that are coming out...
                              started sooner than that in car audio... what happened with the poly's?

Comment

• joetama
                                • May 2006

Well they didn't tell anyone until they had most of them shipped, but a good percentage of them had some "known" defect other than serious tinsel slap problems. I have heard different stories about what the "defect" is. But, it was the reason that so many people had to wait so long to get them and a lot of people were really pissed because they took their money and didn’t deliver on product and you couldn’t get a hold of them....
                                -Joe

Comment

• Exocer
                                  • Feb 2006

Man, I just don't understand how drivers leave the factory with tinsel slapping issues...Shouldn't this type of problem be dealt with before it gets in the hands of customers?

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

Uhh yea..... Thats why so many people were so angry about it. They wouldnt even help you out when they had that problem. People had to figure out fixes on their own. We have about 8 of them now that we got for various reasons, car and home, and we figured out a way to glue the tinsels to the spider so they wouldnt do it....

Crazy stuff though.....
                                    -Joe

Comment

• noah katz
                                      • Dec 2005

"we figured out a way to glue the tinsels to the spider so they wouldnt do it...."

That could br asking for trouble; reducing the unsupported length of the tinsel greatly increases it's stiffness

This could cause premature failure of the tinsel and/or the spider.
                                      Noah

Comment

• noah katz
                                        • Dec 2005

I'd try making thin, low density foam jackets to go around the leads.
                                        Noah

Comment

• Exocer
                                          • Feb 2006

Either way, the Arsenal 15" wants too large of a box for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"