X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1ke323
    • Jun 2006

Finished Speaker Pictures Thread

I am not sure if this has been done before, and if this isn't allowed feel free to close this thread. I am in the process of building my speakers and am looking for finishing ideas. It would be nice for people to see everyones work that has been completed, to get more ideas for their own work. I may be alone on this though, I guess we will see.

It is the little things that I like to look for. Like how does a nicely wrapped veneer roundover look. How are people staining their veneer, or are they just leaving it light colored and poly coating it. What kind of spike setup are people using. What kind of fastners look nice. etc...

So far I am leaving towars a dark colored cherry with possibly a few spitcoats to give it a smooth finish, but not gaudy glossy. ColoradoTom did a fantastic job spitcoating this walnut test piece.

Link to full size picture:

So please feel free to post pictures of enclosures you like or ones that you have built. Thanks

Mike
  • spmachina77
    • Oct 2006

anybody know what color of stain is on this piece of walnut...

Comment

• ColoradoTom
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by spmachina77
      anybody know what color of stain is on this piece of walnut...
      Actually, it's not walnut.... it is a piece of santos rosewood.

There is no stain used as I prefer to use the natural color of the woods and choose the species of wood to match the final color I want. The finish is a poly diluted with mineral spirits 1:1 and then applied with a small cloth rag. I don't remember the exact number of coats applied but it was probably close to 20. Because the poly is diluted you can get several coats on in a day. Looks better in real life than the picture!!

ColoradoTom

Comment

• Jim85IROC
        • Jan 2005

I'm more partial to gaudy glossy. I'm almost to the veneering/painting stages of a Silver Flute Vifa 2-way (Zaph's design). I'm using cherry veneer with a 2 stage urethane automotive basecoat clearcoat black front baffle & stands. Because of the high gloss finish on the baffle, I'm going to use gloss poly on the veneer. I've tried some test pieces, and after I cut & buff the poly, it looks like a mirror.

Hopefully I'll have pics in another week or so. These are for my in-laws, and we're going down there for Christmas on the 16th, so time is quickly running out.

Comment

• Finleyville
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
          I'm more partial to gaudy glossy. I'm almost to the veneering/painting stages of a Silver Flute Vifa 2-way (Zaph's design). I'm using cherry veneer with a 2 stage urethane automotive basecoat clearcoat black front baffle & stands. Because of the high gloss finish on the baffle, I'm going to use gloss poly on the veneer. I've tried some test pieces, and after I cut & buff the poly, it looks like a mirror.

Hopefully I'll have pics in another week or so. These are for my in-laws, and we're going down there for Christmas on the 16th, so time is quickly running out.
          I also prefer gaudy glossy. Did you finish your 2-way's? I am interested in the pics!
          BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Finleyville
            I also prefer gaudy glossy. Did you finish your 2-way's? I am interested in the pics!
            Indeed I did.

Unfortunately, the poor lighting conditions don't really show the quality of the black baffles, which were wetsanded and buffed to a mirror finish like you'd see on a show car. But, none the less, you still get the idea:

These are Zaph's Silverflute-Vifa 2-ways. The cabinets are 3/4" MDF all around, with a paperbacked cherry veneer on the sides & back. The veneer is stained in Minwax "Sedona Red", then coated in liberal amounts of Minwax gloss Polyurethane that was wetsanded and buffed. Because I completely ran out of time (these were given away on Saturday), the poly wasn't sanded as smooth as I'd like, but you can only do what you've got time to do! If I had more time I would have continued sanding to get the same mirror-finish that the black pieces have, but dispite the somewhat ripply finish, it's still got a very high gloss from wetsanding and 2-step polishing process.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"