X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

For surrounds, I'm presuming you want to get down to 80 Hz, and HP filter in the processor at that frequency. at the least, you'd need something like a pair of RS265 on the bottom end, in addtion to your midwoofers. A larger panel and 4 M8a per side might do it, but you'd still need some LF EQ, or the equivalent of baffle step in the crossover. Could go with a single 12" on each side, a single midwoofer. That's an interesting idea...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Eric S
      • Sep 2000

Sorry, yes - I intend to HP them at 80Hz in the processor. Using a single 12" driver along with one mid-woof sounds like an interesting alternative...
      My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

A pair of the 12" Peerless SLS looks interesting for the midbasses on a small flat baffle with an 80 Hz crossover. They are similar to pro drivers in some ways. Things that appeal: $72 price, reported good sound from guys using them in Europe, first (very minor) breakup at 700 Hz, 91dB sensitivity, 8 mm Xmax, light Mms for minimal baffle vibration, pretty high impedance so two in parallel is no problem. They look like a good match for a Peerless Exclusive midrange.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Interesting suggestion, Dennis! Two in parallel would get you a four ohm load for some further improved senstivity and power handling; then you could throw away a little of that in the diopole step passive EQ. Might be fairly clean up to 250, which would be the acid test. QTS is nice, too. Wonder how linear it is when you push it a bit?

Looks pretty lightweight with that small magnet, which eases fabrication. Hmmm, do I smell another attempt at a low buck Gradient Klone? Too bad I'm not really all that fond of the Seas Coaxial. Maybe just a waveguide, 27TDFC, and 883 midbass?
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Sounds like a plan, Jon! The smaller 18sound waveguide might work well with the 27TDFC. It has a flat bolt-on mount so you could probably use it without modification -- just a thick felt gasket to absorb reflections/diffraction from the waveguide's opening being slightly smaller than the tweeter's.

Comment

• Eric S
              • Sep 2000

:E :E Whoa! That quickly went over my head!! :E :E

I thought one of the important aspects was to retain (as closely as possible) the same set of drivers all the way around. Doesn't using Peerless and Seas drivers kill this?
              My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Eric S
                :E :E Whoa! That quickly went over my head!! :E :E

I thought one of the important aspects was to retain (as closely as possible) the same set of drivers all the way around. Doesn't using Peerless and Seas drivers kill this?

I'd say it would be a good idea to use the same size and directivity of drivers. My own preference would be nearly identical systems, but unfortunately folks don't seem to be wiling to make that kind of investment in surrounds.

Using a design which has very similar power response (i.e., frequency response versus axes) is critical for perception of equivalent voicing. Yet "conventional" HT wisdom often uses rears with very different dispersion vs frequency than the main speakers. IME, not a great idea. A T-M-W diople will have a fairly similar reponse to a properly designed MTMW diople, and will have less room interaction and be more faithful to what's on the disk. OTOH, it may be more necessary to do THX type equalization for some disks, rolling the highs somewhat with a tilt-down equalizer for an accurate tonal balance, as many film tracks are EQ'd based on the assumption of direct radiator monopole speakers that are flat on axis but with a falling room power response, due to restricted off axis performance in the upper range, but full off axis dispersion in the bass and lower midrange; also due to presumed HF fall-off with distance, which doesn't occur in most home environments.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Eric S
                  • Sep 2000

Thanks for the explanation, Jon. That makes more sense to me!
                  My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

I was actually thinking of an all new inexpensive Arvo that would be crossed at 80 all around and could keep the front baffle width down to 13-14". Seems like, with most HT receivers, you need to either run the mains full range or cross them at 80 or above. Their mixer blends all the "small" channels plus the LFE channel and then applies the lowpass to the whole works before sending it to the sub. So, if you cross at 40 Hz, you end up throwing away all the LFE channel above 40 and the 40-80 stuff is prime LFE content according to Roger Dressler of Dolby.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

A 13-14" dipole panel would push up the dipole hump to ~350 Hz or so. Panel on the Arvo tends to compensate a bit for the roll off of the midwoofer and allows it to work down to
                      ~200 without much EQ, IF you put it asymmetrically as the Arvo does. If it's mounted symmetrically, there will be a hump in the response before the panel roll off, requiring a more complex crossover/equalizer. Doc Emmet Brown always says do something acoustically instead of electrically when ever you can....
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

A 13-14" dipole panel would push up the dipole hump to ~350 Hz or so.
                        That seems okay to me if the woofers will handle it. Offset the mid and center the woofers; their wide cones should reduce the hump. Crossing a bit higher takes the strain off the small single mid and would give the woofers and the mid a bit over 2 octaves each. No idea if the 12" Peerless will cross that high or not though.

Edit: I've tried modelling dipoles in The Edge and it really seems to exaggerate the dipole hump. SL's measurements of the Phoenix don't look nearly as bad as the software predicts. It looks like a nominal 3-400 Hz crossover with the poles spread a bit would pretty well take care of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.gif
Views:	1859
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	948735
                        Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 09:57 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"