X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigPuss
    • Aug 2006

Home Theater Stereo Setup Help

I'm looking to build a 2 ch. home audio system. I guess what I'm now interested in is a pretty fat stereo setup. I listen mostly to classic rock, however, this setup will be for a fraternity dorm so rap is a must when partying. What I'm looking for is something that can get loud and sound great at the same time. I'm really not very sure what I'm looking at power wise. My budget is $800 for the speakers and crossovers. The sub (already taken care of) and receiver is not included in the budget. Any suggestions?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

$800's just shy of the big WWMTM RS 3-way towers (see M-A) which I think would fit the bill nicely (though they do take a robust amplifier). Though I'm not sure if your budget includes boxes or not.

However, I'm not really sure that the ultimate low distortion and crystal clear quality of this type of project is as suited to the type of abuse they'll likely get.

Something along the lines of the project published over at Parts Express recently may do well, though I can't vouch for its sound quality. It should also be well below your budget.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- when you want to build something for college parties, use pro sound drivers.

They have a lot of sensitivity, so you can get loud without a huge amplifier. An added bonus is that they get loud enough before driving the amp past its doom (and a distressed amp tends to take the speakers out with it). Pro drivers are also built to take a lot of abuse- such as being overdriven.

The project CJD mentioned looks good, but you could probably do better. Here's the link: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...gna/index.html

The sensitivity is supposed to be around 90 db, with extension below 40 hz.

What subwoofer are you using?
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I agree - pro drivers will help on the party end.

They may not pass the critical listening end, but for classic rock it's also very likely they'll do just fine.

90dB isn't much... the RS 3-ways are in that range (at any rate, the tweeter is not padded, and that's rated 90.5)

C

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'm sure the PE design will have plenty of BOOM, if that's the goal.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BigPuss
            • Aug 2006

I'm sorry I don't think I was as specific as I should have been. I'm not looking for a PA. This will be for my room. I have a sub already that I plan to build a sonotube enclosure for. As far as the speakers go, I want some fatty floorstands that will sound as best as my budget will take me while they have some balls to keep up with the RE SX15.
            Last edited by BigPuss; 04 August 2006, 03:58 Friday.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

The sub won't be much to keep up with.

If you're after absolute Sound Qualtiy, one of the RS 3-way projects in the Missions Accomplished area will do you well - the WWMTM's (bigger but also more expensive) or the TMWW's. Build either sealed (well, the WWMTM's are only sealed - no ported option), and cross to your sub at ~60Hz give or take.

C

Comment

• BigPuss
                • Aug 2006

I actually had put some thought about using this design

Except I wanted to use double the drivers in each cabinet and just skip the subwoofer. The guys at CarStereos.org shot that one down though...

Comment

• BigPuss
                  • Aug 2006

I also have an old Sherwood S7100A receiver that is in mint condition if that could be used.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Well, the design isn't the problem, it's your casual approach to making pretty significant changes to it.

It's not a particularly excellent design, but it's also not a bad one given its goals - fair budget, decent sensitivity (I wouldn't call it high by any means - but much higher than many projects, yup), it'll thump and generally supply tunes for average partying.

I'm curious, what reasons were given for shooting that design down?

C

Comment

• BigPuss
                      • Aug 2006

"Holy christ, those speakers have two 12" subs in each one and are -20DB at 20hz. WTF is wrong with that picture? the giant slope that starts at 50 hz and gets crazy steep at 30 hz makes me think something is wrong."

Comment

• joecarrow
                        • Apr 2005

Eh... That's a box design choice. Some low frequency extension is given up, but you get better power handling and a smaller enclosure. You could use a bigger box and come up with a slope that's more to that poster's liking.

In my opnion, that's a fine frequency response for your application. Below 50 hz (depending on your room size), you'll get some low frequency boost from the room. If you can hit 30 hz solidly, you're in great shape for a 60 hz crossover to the "real" sub like the one you're planning. The PE speakers would probably hang in there with two subs of the size you're talking about- they'll be great for you if you use just one.
                        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Not all 12" speakers are "subs."

Comment

• BigPuss
                            • Aug 2006

Do you think it would be possible to use double the drivers with that setup? If so, would a rack amp alone be enough as far as signal production goes or would I need an eq or line level converter apart from my computer?

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Do you want to design your own speaker, or use one that's designed?

WHen you change design parameters (change the number of drivers) you're on your own, for the most part.

Doubling the number of drivers would at most give you more power handling. You would also, of course, have to double box volume.

And, most subs for car application have even worse curves. Port and you get a steeper roll-off. Tuning frequency, box size, all play a role of course.

C

Comment

• sYkone
                                • Dec 2005

If you read all the data about the design, I believe the designer explains why he chose that range. I should think that the "car audio guys" should understand that SPL rolls off drastically below the tuning frequency which was 34HZ. It didn't look to peak too much. Output in a range where most music stays above. For the occasional sub 30HZ drop, your sub would have that covered. You may be able to build those and add something else. New budget reciever, nice sub amp, FBD or maybe a keg?

My .02

Comment

• BigPuss
                                  • Aug 2006

I think that sounds like a good plan. Thanks :T

What about my Sherwood S7100A? Good tube amp...

Comment

• BigPuss
                                    • Aug 2006

You know I completely forgot that my dad has a crazy set lying around. I recently had come accross this old home 3 way set that he had from the mid 70's. If you are familiar with horns I'm sure you might have heard of the old Altec Lansing based company called University. Anyways. This set includes 2 tweeter drivers, 2 midrange drivers, and 2 low low excursion woofers, all complete with crossovers. Would this be a better option than the PE setup? I'm just wondering if the horns will sound harsh and tin cany. Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of setup?

Comment

• BigPuss
                                      • Aug 2006

Anyone?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I'm not familiar with the specifics, obviously us geezers know the brand names. I think you'll get a more knowledgeable assistance here............
                                        Audio Asylum - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum - Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Habs4life
                                          • Apr 2006

Those Altecs might be worth something .There are a few vintage audio collectors around looking for old horns and old tubed amps.

Comment

• sYkone
                                            • Dec 2005

Well, kind of what I was thinking. Better to build something you can abuse and repair if need be for your situation, rather than vintage equipment.

Comment

• peterS
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

you can get a cheap sony or insignia 2 channel reciever to abuse

i've posted pics of the insignia internals... well built

you may be best off getting some jbl pro speakers or similar http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/liv...+324599&page=1

Comment

• BigPuss
                                                • Aug 2006

What about this Marantz?

Comment

• BigPuss
                                                  • Aug 2006

Ok, well I ended up picking up 2 Memphis 15-MC124D's to pair up with the 500 watt BASH plate amp. What size enclosure and what tuning/port area do you guys suggest I use? I was thinking about tuning around 25hz. What do you guys think?
                                                  Last edited by BigPuss; 09 August 2006, 11:04 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"