X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stinems
    • Apr 2006

Ugh....not another RS 3way!! Opinions?

Maybe I'm blind or tuned into all the wrong channels, but for all the RS projects out there, I have yet to see very many projects utilizing the venerable RS52. The challenge of course is finding the tweeter that can cross with it--a neo tweet of comparable performance. Enter the Vifa D26NC, which in my mind is one of the better neo tweeters available. Check it out in Zaph's tweeter mishmash--excellent response, CSD, and very low distortion. With its truncated flange, it looks like it can be crossed with the RS52 around 3500hz.

To round out the bottom end, I'm thinking dual RS225's in a 65-80L sealed box. The consensus here at the HTGuide forums for dual RS225's is that sealed sounds the best.

After messing around in the the FRD's baffle step diffraction spreadsheet, I was getting the best diffraction patterns with a MTWW config (unconventional, I know). With the mid crossing LR4 (overall) @ 650 and 3300. As far as I know this spacing pictured on the baffle layout is valid.

I'm pretty much sold on the design except for the power response, though I don't know what is considered "good" power response. What do you guys think?

I'm assuming the acoustic center offset for the RS225 is about 2" depth, while the RS52 and D26 are assumed to have zero offset. Any counsel on better offset estimations so I can tweak for phase better?
    Attached Files
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I'm going to guess the offset is closer to 2.5" maybe more... for best results, measure in the final enclosure. Minimum phase modeling is a very good way to get a handle on things, but I think is tricky to get correct in a 3-way (though no guarantees it won't be perfect...)

This assumes you're doing a minimum phase model with included baffle step.

I would add a zobel to the woofers and see about rolling off a bit faster past the knee. It will help power response and the bump you get just above crossover frequency.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• stinems
      • Apr 2006

CJD:
      Yes, I used the FRD tools. Baffle step is included, and minimum phase was extracted.

I had a zobel in there at one point, but I seem to remember it wasn't doing what I wanted. But alot of other things have changed in the xover since that point. So I'll give it another go.

Thanks a heap for the input!

Comment

• kirknelson
        • Sep 2006

*Bump*

Just wondering if you've made any progress on this design. I really like what I've seen about the RS52 (see Zaph's review) and would like to know how it turns out in a few projects.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"