Help, I can't hack it! Need a woodworker in the bay area!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Help, I can't hack it! Need a woodworker in the bay area!

Guys, I'm really sorry that I have to post this. Today I realised that I just can't build cabinets. I live in an apartment, and I am borrowing a router from a friend. I am really short on free time during hours when it's OK to run powertools outside at my apartment complex, and it's taken me since march to get to the point of trying to countersink my drivers for a Modula MT.

It turns out that the router I borrowed wiggles loose from its own vibrations, and I just dug a deep ring around where the woofer is supposed to sit. My work looks like garbage, and I'm never going to get a decent seal to the woofer. HELP! 8O

I give up. What can I do? I didn't want to go buy some commercial speakers, but I've been trying to find the time and money for this since before the Modula MT thread started- whenever that was. I guess I just don't have time, tools, or space to make this work. Maybe I'll have to limit myself to electronics projects- at least those can be done in the dead of night without waking the dead.

Ok, so enough of my sob story- does anyone know a place in the san francisco bay area where I can cheaply get a set of Dayton cabinet faces countersunk properly?
    Last edited by joecarrow; 29 July 2006, 19:42 Saturday. Reason: changed title to be more descriptive
    -Joe Carrow
  • wackii
    • Jan 2006

It turns out that the router I borrowed wiggles loose from its own vibrations, and I just dug a deep ring around where the woofer is supposed to sit. My work looks like garbage, and I'm never going to get a decent seal to the woofer. HELP!
    Are you trying to cut it one pass? It happens to me too. Now, I learn to take it easy... cut half first... then finish it with the second pass...

I leave in an apartment too. It's kinda sux. It took me a couple of months to finish up my mains. You could do it. Especially in summer, there's more day time. Just need to get down and dirty... and sweaty a bit... Good luck...

Al,

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

Yes, I was trying to cut it in one pass. The way you described sounds like a much better way to do it.

My problem is that I only get about one weekend day out of every four or five weeks- summer or not. Work and my girlfriend just don't leave me with much more.

Thanks for the advice and support. I know that if I can actually learn something and finish this myself I will feel much better about it.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• wackii
        • Jan 2006

Joe,

Make your gf work on your project too My gf helps me out. I told her the sooner I finish the faster we'll go out... hehehe... Thanks god I have a very understanding gf and she puts up lot of my crap hehehe... Good luck.

Al,

Comment

• noah katz
          • Dec 2005

To repair your goof, the best way would be to mix MDF or sawdust with epoxy or polyester resin into a paste, fill it in, and try again.

That might be expensive; just using wood glur might work just as well.

If you've already cut out the through hole for the driver, make a dam by putting some duct tape around the cutout.

If you want to just leave box making to someone else, get bids from shops who make kitchen cabinets.

They're very reasonable for that, not sure what to expect for speaker boxes.

Good luck
          ------------------------------
          Noah

Comment

• layertone
            • Jul 2006

Hi Joe,

Send me a PM or mail let me know what you'd like to have cutout. I'd be very glad to help you! :T

BTW, I have a small CNC router - can cut circles & daitos all day!

This was the latest pair of Ron Clarke's Austin II Horn design from the Fullrangedriver.com forum that I finished in February 06. Hat's off to Ron!

The driver is a single full-range Fostex FE168ez

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"