How close will one of the modula-like MTMs get to the TMWW tower?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

How close will one of the modula-like MTMs get to the TMWW tower?

Towers are so expensive for me to build (I'm not a DIY woodworker so I pay other people to do my stuff), whereas the MTM towers from PE are very cheap.

How much of a difference in performance is there among the MTM bookshelves and the Dennis Murphy Seas Tweet TMWW Tower?
  • Brian Walter
    • Sep 2005

You may have to wait for Jim Holtz to get back from vacation to answer this question, as he may be the only person around that has listened to both designs. Overall, my best guess would be the following: The MTM will likely play cleaner in the midrange at high spl and won't have quite as much low end. The towers will have a more solid bottom end and may be a little smother overall at normal listening levels. But the biggest difference will probably be in the voicing of the speakers by the crossover designer. Without listening to them I can't comment on that.

If you are going to be using a sub, it probably comes down to personal taste more than anything. You will likely be more than happy with either.

Brian Walter

Comment

• Fryguy
      • Apr 2006

I am using a sub, crossed at 60hz, which is why I am seriously considering this.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Well...

Sub helps.

But it's not the same. You'll get fuller/more present sound and a bit more clarity in a good 3-way vs. a 2-way almost every time.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Fryguy
          Towers are so expensive for me to build (I'm not a DIY woodworker so I pay other people to do my stuff), whereas the MTM towers from PE are very cheap.

How much of a difference in performance is there among the MTM bookshelves and the Dennis Murphy Seas Tweet TMWW Tower?
          I can't directly compare the MTM to the WWMT but I just built the WWMT and my previous main speakers were Ascend 340SE's that are a MTM design. To me, the difference was like night and day. As cjd said, the fullness and smoth operation of a well designed and implemented 3 way sounds much more realistic in all aspects to me.

Chuck

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Chas,

My (RS150 based) MTM's make the Ascend's sound cramped and harsh. They're both budget implementations, so slightly more fair a comparison. That said, my prevoius comments stand.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• oxcartdriver
              • Apr 2006

I will be able to respond by Saturday. I've built the WWMT towers and center channel, and I'm waiting on the coils to finish the modula MTM's. Coils are supposed to arrive today.

I plan on using the modula MTM's for surrounds, but the modula MTM's are small enough I can bring them to the main floor of the house to listen to stereo. I don't watch movies to often.

I might try the natlie MTM's later to complete a 7.1 system and to compare the natlie MTM's with the modula MTM's. Sub-woofer comes first though.

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                • Apr 2006

Checking UPS my inductors don't arrive until Monday so it will take about a week to make a comparison. 2 days to complete the assembly, 2-3 days to breakin the drivers.

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                  I will be able to respond by Saturday. I've built the WWMT towers and center channel.
                  What version of the WWMT's and Center Channel did you build?

Chuck

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                    • Apr 2006

I built Dennis' version with the Dayton Tweeter.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                      • Nov 2006

Has anyone ever compared these?

Well, this thread has been dead for some time, so I thought I might revive it. On the other hand, perhaps another thread has replaced this... In any event, what is the verdict? Has anyone compared the Modula MTM and the RS WWMT side by side? I am very interested in this, as I am nearly ready to begin on my front speakers, and one of these two designs will be my choice. Also, given the very different crossovers, does that affect the sould quality? It would be interesting to see a Jon Marsh proposal for the WWMT mains.

Comment

• bmowis
                        • Oct 2006

I'll second that. I've been kind of hoping that Jon gets around to a WWMT crossover sometime.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                          • Nov 2006

Something like two RS180's, a RS150, and a RS28A in a Madisound tower enclosure might just fit the bill!

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                            • Apr 2006

I have both and all I can say is that they sound different. I like both, but in a full on head to head no sub I prefer the WWMT. With the sub I would take either, I cross to my sub between 65 and 80hz depending. I'm still experimenting with the velodyne sms-1 sub control setups.

I have the ported Dennis design with significant vertical cabinet bracing and a 2.25in thick facia. My WWMT weighs 145lbs each. The WWMT reaches quite a bit lower than the modula at highier volumes, as you'd expect with a larger box and larger drivers.

I built the modula MTM with my own box. Matched the Parts Express cabinet volume, but with 2x verticle braces, 2.25in thick facia. My Modula MTM's weigh 65lbs each.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"