X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott Simonian
    • Nov 2004

5.1/7.1 DIY computer speaker setup

After years and years of waiting for the appropriate amount of power with price to come along for computer parts (run on!), I will FINALLY be getting a new computer. This will be a gaming computer, no doubt. The board Im getting is an ASUS A8N-SLI and it comes with a on-board 7.1 encoder. My friend has the same board and the surround in games is pretty cool and it supports 7.1!

I've thought about just putting a table or desk in my HT and using the 7.1 inputs on the back but I was wondering if it was possible to build a DIY powered PC setup.

Don't know if little multichannel plate amp even exist but it was something floating in my head and if it were possible...well, I'd be the first on here with a thread about DIY computer speakers.
    My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I think the biggest problem with DIY computer speakers is that for all the effort involved, you don't end up saving money and you don't gain much fidelity unless you build something a good bit larger than the usual satellites that come with those systems.

I think that if you found a way to "mass produce" seven cabinets for something like Zaph's project here: http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20a.html, then you'd be on to something.

To power it, you could fill a box with amps from http://hypex.nl or http://41hz.com. Another option is to get a home theater receiver. My personal opinion is that you'll get the best sound by passing a digital signal out of our PC and sending it to a more electrically quiet piece of equipment before converting to analog.

The receiver I'm considering buying for my own use is the Panasonic SA-XR57. It's a digital amp with a lot of features, and 7.1 channels at about 100 watts each. These can be had for about $300. The predecessor of this receiver is also available for $230 delivered. It's the same power rating, but missing a few features.

Side note- pretty cool about that recent price drop in AMD chips, isn't it? 8)
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Scott Simonian
      • Nov 2004

Yes! I just ordered a AMD X2 4200+ for $199 off Newegg.com.

I think the biggest problem with DIY computer speakers is that for all the effort involved, you don't end up saving money and you don't gain much fidelity unless you build something a good bit larger than the usual satellites that come with those systems.
      I was worried that I would be like that. Thats why I didn't think it was possible but if I were gonna ask anyone, it would be the patrons of the HTGuide.

I couldn't think of any amps other than the Hypex or the ones that Adire had (Hypex also, I think) or getting/using a receiver. I could do that and save BIG TIME on the whole schindig. But this will be in my bedroom and didn't want to truck it over to the next room, find a place for it and stuff...

...just didnt seem as fun. Plus I wanted an excuse to have dual 18's as my computer sub.

*evil grin*

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
        well, I'd be the first on here with a thread about DIY computer speakers.
        Using the search function will bring up muliple threads regarding PC speakers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
          • Nov 2004

Couldn't find what I was looking for when I did...maybe I wasn't searching with the right words.

But all in all I was hopping for a full 5.1/7.1 build. Not just a stereo (plus sub) setup.

Looks like it would be more work to do this than to just use my current HT or purchase a cheapish av receiver and using regular speakers.

Comment

• Marzen
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
            ...regular speakers.
            ????
            Seems a shame to waste all that space under your bed. What about a large folded horn sub for a bed riser? :T
            Heck, that might be good for more than just video games... :E
            -Ward
            What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"