X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

Ribbon testing & power specs

I ordered the DAYTON PT2B-8 PLANAR TWEETER to play with. Two questions come to mind before I start connecting it up.
    1) If using a digital filter as a xo, do I still need to use a cap for protection during testing?
    2) Although rated at 80 watts RMS/115 watts max; I see some ribbons rated at 20 watts. Is that the ceiling for the total speaker wattage or is the ribbon able to handle more power when used with a higher order xo?

Thanks,
    Ward
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Marzen
    I ordered the DAYTON PT2B-8 PLANAR TWEETER to play with. Two questions come to mind before I start connecting it up.
    1) If using a digital filter as a xo, do I still need to use a cap for protection during testing?
    Good idea.
    2) Although rated at 80 watts RMS/115 watts max; I see some ribbons rated at 20 watts. Is that the ceiling for the total speaker wattage or is the ribbon able to handle more power when used with a higher order xo?
    These will handle more power than the small true ribbons, but show them 80 watts and you'll see smoke.

If you want to take a pair to the limit, I'll send you a couple you can test to destruction. I got them long ago and wasn't interested in using them given the relatively poor SQ.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

Thomas, if Marzen doesn't take you up on that offer I'd be more than happy to. I'll pay shipping and throw you a couple bucks your way. I just got Soundeasy and have been doing some measuring and would love some planars to play with.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Christian,

These aren't much different than the Fosters I sent you a while back. The form factor is larger, but other than that they're functionally identical

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Marzen
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Good idea.
          These will handle more power than the small true ribbons, but show them 80 watts and you'll see smoke.
          Hmm, that's somewhat disapointing...perhaps I should go no more than 80% (64 watts) of rated RMS? Glad I picked up some polyswitches & ckt brkr's to play with as well. Good to know there's a visual indicator at failure :rant:

If you want to take a pair to the limit, I'll send you a couple you can test to destruction. I got them long ago and wasn't interested in using them given the relatively poor SQ.
          Thanks for the generous offer. I'll take you up on that & PM you later.
          What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• Mazeroth
            • Nov 2004

Christian,

These aren't much different than the Fosters I sent you a while back. The form factor is larger, but other than that they're functionally identical
            Thanks again for sending them Fosters. When I said "play" with the planars I meant to measure them and try them out in a 2-way project. Those Fosters require a much higher crossover, from my understanding, and would only be viable in a 3+ way. I'd like to keep it simple...for now :P

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"